× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Advanced Port Forwarding & Static Routes - Nighthawk RAX200

b7-
Follower
Follower

Advanced Port Forwarding & Static Routes - Nighthawk RAX200

After doing some research, I came to find the RAX200 to be the best ranked Wifi6 Router in the market. So, I purchased a unit yesterday, plugged it in, updated the firmware and started the configuration to replace my existing router, an older Asus AC5300. Everything went perfectly smooth, ISP Setup, WIFI Configuration etc...

As I have firewall setup as part of the network behind this router, Static Routes & Port Forwarding is where I started to face a challenge. Configuring Static routes, networks across were able to communicate flawlessly. However, I couldn't get the port forwarding to work across. With the earlier router, I was able to port forward to the network behind the static route. With the RAX200, port forwarding seems to be only allowed to the LAN segment connected to the router. Is there a fix?

For those, who want to dive in to the network, I will try to simplify, I have 3 networks;

- 192.168.1.x (Nighthawk Network)

This network has the router connected to the ISP, has only one port connected to a firewall

Nighthawk at 192.168.1.1

Firewall at 192.168.1.2

Simple Network, No Other Device until someone connects to WIFI and gets an IP

- 192.168.2.x (Behind Firewall Network A)

This network has machines, computers, printers, TVs and their IPs are 192.168.2.1 Through 192.168.2.255 a typical /24 network with the firewall acting as a DHCP server

- 192.168.3.x (Behind Firewall Network B) 

A limited speed network with computers. Range is 192.168.3.1 through 192.168.3.7 /29 Firewall acts as a DHCP server by assiging IPs and does traffic shaping

My intention is to port forward to the 192.168.2.x network, which doesn’t seem to be allowed. On RAX I get a message "Server IP must be a LAN IP". Earlier on the Asus AC5300, I had no problems with that, you could literally port forward to any IP.

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 2
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Advanced Port Forwarding & Static Routes - Nighthawk RAX200

Hi b7-

Welcome to the community! If you recently purchased the device I would recommend contacting our support team as newly purchased devices are provided with 90 days of complimentary support. You may open a ticket by registering your device using the link below. 

http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Regards,

Christian 

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7