× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't connect to AX1800 over ethernet despite cable connection

lo53n
Aspirant

Can't connect to AX1800 over ethernet despite cable connection

Hello,

recently I got AX1800. I managed to configure it over WiFi with more or less problems, however I am not able to connect to it via ethernet cable. The LED on router for connection is lit, however neither PC recognizes the LAN it should be nor router sees the connected PC. Never had this problem before, but it looks like ethernet connection doesn't even try to understand in what network it is, and even static setup for IP address doesn't work. Currently using Window 10, reinstalled network drivers, updated firmare on router.

Is there way to solve this problem?

Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

Re: Can't connect to AX1800 over ethernet despite cable connection

1. what router do you have? AX1800 is a speed

2. what modem/gateway did you connect it to? 

3. You're still able to access it via wifi and use it? Just not via ethernet? 

Message 2 of 10
lo53n
Aspirant

1. Ah, AX1800 is shown is such big letter on the box I thought it was model. It's RAX20 (RAX20-100PES as producer code).

2. I'm connecting straight to my ISP, on my side there is no modem or anything like that, just router. @Edit as per gateway, I'm assuming network gateways? I'm using the ones automatically provided by ISP, as they were always working for me.

3. Yes, WiFi is working fine. I can connect to router via WiFi with no problem, both on 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks. It's just I'm not able to connect over ethernet cable as if PC isn't able to recognize it is sitting in LAN.

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

Correct, your gateway from the isp. they must have something even if its just an ONT.

Did you try simple factory resetting and starting over? Sometimes the fastest solution. 

Message 4 of 10
lo53n
Aspirant

I've tried couple of times, but the best result was my PC's ethernet connection deciding to take DHCP address (192.168.1.2, which is reserved by router) in network named "Netgear 5G", and then after a while switching to "Unidentified Network" with no IP set.

Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

what ont/gateway is it from the isp? 

Message 6 of 10
lo53n
Aspirant

It shows up 10.7.0.1, as it is local ISP for my area. That's all I have about gateway.

Message 7 of 10

@lo53n wrote:

It shows up 10.7.0.1, as it is local ISP for my area. That's all I have about gateway.

That looks like a local IP address for the thing that connects you to the Internet.

The format suggests that it may well be, as people have already hinted, some sort of router device.

It is rare for these things not to have a label on the side that tells you what the modem/gateway/ONT is.

Did you ever say who your ISP is?

The RAX20's own address will usually be 192.168.1.1.

What you are seeing is the bit that tells you the range of IP addresses that the router can use. It probably runs from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254.

Not sure what you mean by "reserved by router".

192.168.1.2 could be the PC's ethernet connection.

"Netgear 5G" is often the default SSID for the router's wifi.

Did you try to run the Windows Network Troubleshooter with the Ethernet connected?

A quick test of the system would be to work out how to use your RAX20 as a wireless access point.

If it all starts working, then the thing on the wall is working as a router.

Message 8 of 10
lo53n
Aspirant

I have problem with connecting over ethernet cable regardless if the router is connected to the internet or not - I have it on the side, right now unplugged from WAN, with only way to access it over the WiFi. I have no other devices to check cable connection, but as far as I tried, Windows Troubleshotting was unhelpful, as only thing it popped up was "you have problem with connection". The name "Netgear 5G" pops up even after I changed SSIDs, so it feels rather wrong to see it as a network name. 

As per ISP - from my side I get just ethernet cable to plug into device (either be it PC, console or router), which I assume is pretty standard practice in Poland. I get almost no info besides how to connect and register new device that will be plugged straight into the provided cable.

I can use it as a access point and work with it, butfrom time to time I need to connect devices over cable and I want to sort it out ahead of time instead of being pressed to fix it when I get them and it turns out the LAN isn't really working.

Message 9 of 10

@lo53n wrote:

As per ISP - from my side I get just ethernet cable to plug into device (either be it PC, console or router), which I assume is pretty standard practice in Poland.

That is not a common arrangement. Standard practice in Poland may not be the same as anywhere else.

Every Internet connection needs something that works how you to point your devices in the right direction.

Most ISPs give their users their WAN (Internet) IP address. It is then down to the customer's network to share that ISP address with all the stuff on their own networks.This lets dozens, or more, or devices connect through just one "mailbox".

Sometimes an ISP has its own "front end" that has its own "postmaster". In effect, it has a gigantic router that can handle a massive number of clients.

When that happens, users just need an access point. If they stuck a router on the end, the poor thing gets confused.

If you have one of these 

What this probably comes down to is a bit more research at your end on the exact nature of  your ISP service. If it is something that we don't know about, and that is not normal for Netgear hardware, we are all left in the dark.

Did you ever tell anyone what this ISP is? Does it have a user support group that you contact to for help? They will know more about Polish ISPs than we do.

Not sure that I follow this bit:

I can use it as a access point and work with it, butfrom time to time I need to connect devices over cable and I want to sort it out ahead of time instead of being pressed to fix it when I get them and it turns out the LAN isn't really working.

If the thing does work as an AP, then you might like to work out why it sometimes goes wrong. It would not work at all as an AP if your ISP needed a router at your end.

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7