× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Commercial Electric Smart Plug Can't Set Up

captain_tinker
Initiate

Commercial Electric Smart Plug Can't Set Up

I have a couple of Commercial Electric smart plugs I got at Home Depot last year for my Christmas lights.  I had a D-Link AC router at the time.  I got them set up and they worked fine for the season, then put them away with the lights and brought them out again this year.  I now have a Netgear NightHawk RAX75 with wifi6.  I tried to set up the plugs using the SP1 app on my phone, and it kept failing.  I contacted support for the plugs and went through all the steps and nothing worked.  They even sent me some new ones that had been tested out and worked, but they did not work any time I tried to connect to the router.  It specifies it can only use the 2.4 Ghz band, that's fine.  I made sure to connect only to the 2.4 ghz ssid, and even went so far as to turn off the 5 ghz band temporarily on the router to make sure it would not interfere.  Still didn't work.  I then set up a hotspot on my old work phone, gave it the same ssid and password as my router, and shut my router off entirely so it wouldn't conflict.  The idea was to get the plug to program itself to attach to the right ssid name with the right password, and then shut off the hotspot, turn on the router and it ought to connect.  Well, I was able to get it configured on the hotspot, but when shutting that down and turning on the router, it still would not connect.  So now I've got several smart plugs I can't use anymore!  Is there anything else that can be done on the router to make this work?  I assume there are likely some configuration checkboxes somewhere that should not be checked or that should be that I've overlooked somehow?  Any other ideas?  I've already looked through the forums and there was only one that even mentioned the same plugs, but no resolution.  

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
captain_tinker
Initiate

Re: Commercial Electric Smart Plug Can't Set Up

Thanks for the suggestions, but they didn't work.  However, as I was trying them, I noticed something that I hadn't tried yet.  I saw that the security for the 2.4 ghz band was set to WPA2-Personal[AES] + WPA3-Personal, and I wondered if maybe I should try setting it to just WPA2-PSK [AES] so it wouldn't attempt to use WPA3.  Once I set this and rebooted the router, I was finally able to add the plug, with all that other stuff set back to where it was originally.  So none of the beamforming and MIMO and AX settings affected it, just the security for the password.  Now, it's possible though that some of that stuff may still make a bit of a difference as the response to the plugs is very slow!  The router isn't that far from them and not through many walls.  I'd say within about 20 feet or less away.  But it does work.  Hopefully this might help someone else if they have the same issues...

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Still have the D-Link router by chance? If so, setup the D-Link router for same SSID name and PW on the RAX. Use the D-Link long enough to set up the devices, once connected, turn OFF the D-Link router and the devices should auto connect to the RAX router. 

Might try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz. 

Make sure WMM is enabled. 

Try disabling Beamforming or MIMO temporarily on the RAX as well. 

Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

Have you tried disabling the wireless AX on the router for 2.4ghz? 

Message 3 of 6
captain_tinker
Initiate

Thanks for the suggestions, but they didn't work.  However, as I was trying them, I noticed something that I hadn't tried yet.  I saw that the security for the 2.4 ghz band was set to WPA2-Personal[AES] + WPA3-Personal, and I wondered if maybe I should try setting it to just WPA2-PSK [AES] so it wouldn't attempt to use WPA3.  Once I set this and rebooted the router, I was finally able to add the plug, with all that other stuff set back to where it was originally.  So none of the beamforming and MIMO and AX settings affected it, just the security for the password.  Now, it's possible though that some of that stuff may still make a bit of a difference as the response to the plugs is very slow!  The router isn't that far from them and not through many walls.  I'd say within about 20 feet or less away.  But it does work.  Hopefully this might help someone else if they have the same issues...

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Ah, didn't think of that ether. I found same thing happening with my R7800 in bridge mode. Would NOT connect to my RAXE500 with Mixed WPA2/3 mode set. Had to set WPA2 only then it connected. 

Thanks for letting us know.  Will keep this one in mind.

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

glad to hear you got it resolved!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation