× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Confused NightHawk User

PinkstonMatt
Aspirant

Confused NightHawk User

In my home I have Verizon FIOS with a cable connected to a Verizon router from that box I wire to my new Nighthawk  AX6 AX4300.

My old WIFI name was IPOOPONU, the new WIFI from the NIGHTHAWK appears to be NETGEAR82 or NETGEAR82-5G

Questions:
1-Should I have two or goto one?
2-How do I get to one if that is best?
3-How do I get my new Nighhawk to take over the WIFI name of IPOOPONU
4-Is there a prefered extender for this device?
5-I have a couple extenders how do I connect an extender to the Nighthawk

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
PinkstonMatt
Aspirant

Also when I logged into Nighthawk on my IOS phone I changed the PSWD, is that now the password for the wifi access too?

Message 2 of 6
iyang
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @PinkstonMatt ,

What's model name do you use ?

Thanks

Message 3 of 6

@PinkstonMatt wrote:

In my home I have Verizon FIOS with a cable connected to a Verizon router from that box I wire to my new Nighthawk  AX6 AX4300.

Which one? AX4300 is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AX tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

Look at the label on the device for the model number. RAX45?

My old WIFI name was IPOOPONU, the new WIFI from the NIGHTHAWK appears to be NETGEAR82 or NETGEAR82-5G

They will be the default SSIDs for your new router. You can change them to whatever you like:

How do I change my NETGEAR router password or network name (SSID)? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Manuals are always a good place to start.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Look for the model number on the label on the device.

That page will also have any software, firmware and drivers for your device, if they exist.

Check the section in the manual Specify Basic WiFi Settings.

Check their manuals.

Message 4 of 6

@PinkstonMatt wrote:

Also when I logged into Nighthawk on my IOS phone I changed the PSWD, is that now the password for the wifi access too?

Hard to tell without a clearer explanation of what you logged into and what you changed on the phone.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem. https://kb.netgear.com/25891/DMZ-on-NETGEAR-routers
https://kb.netgear.com/24086/How-do-I-set-up-a-default-DMZ-server-on-my-Nighthawk-router
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the NG router to the modem, LAN to LAN configure AP mode on the NG router.

Try option #2 first.

Need to log in to the NH routers web page and setup it's wifi settings to be the same as what you were using on the ISP router if thats what you want. 

@PinkstonMatt wrote:

Questions:
1-Should I have two or goto one?
2-How do I get to one if that is best?
3-How do I get my new Nighhawk to take over the WIFI name of IPOOPONU
4-Is there a prefered extender for this device?

Thanks

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7