× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DCHP reserve limit

Sitchey
Aspirant

DCHP reserve limit

Hi

I have a RAX200 router. Im looking to create reserved IP addresses. However it seems I can only add 3 in total? Is that right?

I go to add a new reserved address, pick a device from the list and give it an IP. The first 4 add no problem. But when you add any more it just replaces the 3rd one with your new device.

Surely that's not right in a £400+ router? On other cheaper routers I'm can easily reserve 100 addresses.

Is this a limitation with this router or am I doing something wrong????
Message 1 of 13
Sitchey
Aspirant

Re: DCHP reserve limit

Reserved limit as it looks like a set number of IP that the DHCP server (the netgear rax200) can set.

The rax200 is plugged direct into my fibre connection. I have an unmanaged switch that is wired into the Rax200. All my devices in the house are hard wired to the switch. The rax200 is the DHCP server and assigns all IPs to devices on the network.

I'm using the Web interface and in advanced settings where you can reserve IP addresses.

Firmware Version
V1.0.10.140_1.0.79
Message 2 of 13
schumaku
Guru

@Sitchey wrote:
Reserved limit as it looks like a set number of IP that the DHCP server (the netgear rax200) can set.
I'm using the Web interface and in advanced settings where you can reserve IP addresses.

Talking about the total possible DHCP MAC reservation table size here?  A little bit more verbose please.

In the community, the RAX200 is covered along with in the Nighthawk (RAX and RAXE Series) router products in the Nighthawk With WiFi 6 (AX) And WiFi 6E (AXE) Routers section.

Message 3 of 13
schumaku
Guru

How do I specify the pool of IP addresses assigned by my Nighthawk router?  Does this clarify the situation? Yes, I know this RAX200 isn't formally covered, however, this is the design logic behind AFAIK.

Message 4 of 13
Sitchey
Aspirant

My IP range is running from the Rax200. So I have 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.252.
All my devices are assigned an IP 192.168.1.x etc so that's all fine.

I want to reserve IP addresses for some devices. I can assign set IPs to 3 devices only. Its not that the others aren't on the network, its because when I add a 4th device it removes the 3rd one. It seems to have a set limit of 3 devices that can have reserved IP addresses
Message 5 of 13
microchip8
Master

Has a factory reset been preformed and reconfigure from scratch?

Just a thought, but it might be a bug in the interface where they don't show up on the list but are actually reserved. NG seems to have from time to time these weird interface bugs. I haven't come to a specified limit (except for DHCP range) while reserving IPs. Best way to find out is to just see if reserving more than 3 IPs get assigned to the devices.
Message 6 of 13
Kitsap
Master

Recent experience has shown a good IP range for the DHCP pool is from 192.168.1.100 through 192.168.1.200.

After you make such a change, power down your router (pull the power cord), wait a few minutes and reboot your router.

After your router has booted and stabilized, the IP addresses you reserve should not be within your DHCP pool range.

Message 7 of 13
Sitchey
Aspirant

Ok so keep a range from .100 to .200 for dynamic connections, then reserve. 2 to .99
Netgear rax200 as .1

If the range starts at .100 will any devices in .2 to .99 be seem by the other devices? I had thought what's in the range is only connected and visible to each other,?
Message 8 of 13
Sitchey
Aspirant

Yes have carried out a few factory resets.

Didn't think of checking if the devices no longer shown on GUI are still being assigned a reserved IP

On another forum it was suggested that the issue is down to devices having unknown or the same network ID names. I've set all mine as individual names. Though noticed after a while some default back to their manufacturer name.
Message 9 of 13
Kitsap
Master

@Sitchey wrote:
Ok so keep a range from .100 to .200 for dynamic connections, then reserve. 2 to .99
Netgear rax200 as .1

If the range starts at .100 will any devices in .2 to .99 be seem by the other devices? I had thought what's in the range is only connected and visible to each other,?

The range is just for assignment of addresses, it does not limit access.  As long as the devices are on the same subnet, they should see each other fine.  Easy to verify on your end.

Message 10 of 13
Kitsap
Master

@Sitchey wrote:
Yes have carried out a few factory resets.

Didn't think of checking if the devices no longer shown on GUI are still being assigned a reserved IP

On another forum it was suggested that the issue is down to devices having unknown or the same network ID names. I've set all mine as individual names. Though noticed after a while some default back to their manufacturer name.

Device names can sometimes be a moving target.  The simpler or older IoT devices seem to be worst offenders. 

The assignment of IP addresses by DHCP is tracked by the MAC address of the device and not by the device name.  In theory, there are no duplicate MAC addresses.  The same when your reserve an IP address.

There is no reason you should be limited to three address reservations unless there is a conflict with your configuration.

Message 11 of 13
Sitchey
Aspirant

Will give this a try this week and report back. Will share up screenshots too
Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

@Sitchey wrote:
The .100 to .200 range is for both Dynamic and IP address RESERVERVATION connections. 
Anything outside of this range is for STATIC IP address connections that these static IP addresses are configured ON devices, not the router.
Netgear rax200 as .1

Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7