× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Devices on different bands cannot connect to Google Home

Pasquillus
Aspirant

Devices on different bands cannot connect to Google Home

Router - RAX200

Pasquillus_0-1676889223824.png

I have 1 x 2.4Ghz and 2 x 5Ghz channels, running using Smart Connect.

When the Google Nest connects through 5GHz-1, devices connecting through 5GHz-2 cannot cast Spotify to the hub, share with any devices on 5Gh-1, or see the Google Nest etc.

It's as if devices on different bands are on a different network.

Any way that devices on different bands can see each other on my Wifi? (preferred solution)

Otherwise, is there any way to disable one of the 5Ghz bands without disabling Smart Connect?

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Devices on different bands cannot connect to Google Home

What router do you have? 

What firmware is on it? 

What modem/gateway is the router connected to? 

Message 2 of 5
Pasquillus
Aspirant

Thanks for response 🙂

Router - RAX200

Firmware - V1.0.10.140_1.0.79

Connected to modem - Technicolor TG789vac v2

I updated the firmware to latest tonight. I can no longer see 5Ghz connections from my router IP or through the android app.  When my phone connects over 2.4Ghz I can't cast to the Google Nest, which is connected over 5GHz.  After reconnecting the phone a number of times it finally connected at 5Ghz and was able to cast to the Google Nest (Signal strength at 100%, 2m from router, so not sure why it sometimes connects over 2.4).  As stated, can't see 5Ghz devices so can't see which band any of them are connecting through.

Message 3 of 5

@Pasquillus wrote:

Connected to modem - Technicolor TG789vac v2

That looks like a modem/router (gateway). Adding the RAX200 is an invitation to trouble.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router.

technicolor tg789vac v2 bridge mode - Google Search

Sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 4 of 5
Pasquillus
Aspirant

Thanks for replies so far.  Making progress.

I was initially advised I would need the modem for connection to the internet.  It turns out the RAX200 router can connect directly so I've removed the modem entirely.  Rebooted the RAX200.

I still have no clue why I can't always see devices in the house.

Here is a screen grab of both my Android and my partner's iPhone connected to 5Ghz

Pasquillus_0-1677059054543.png

These are the devices I can cast to

Pasquillus_1-1677059101006.png

These are the devices my partner can cast to

Pasquillus_2-1677059129972.png

Sometimes I see the same as my partner although if I disconnect and reconnect to the WiFi I might get the other list.

At first I thought it might be the phones connecting alternatively to 2.4 and 5Ghz and seeing corresponding devices, but the screengrabs were done while both were connected to 5Ghz, at least according to Router (as shown)

Any help appreciated.

The

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7