× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ethernet Connection not detected

AJ290
Aspirant

Ethernet Connection not detected

Decided to finally ditch Comcast, or at least my old landline phone and TV. Now, internet only, Extreme Pro tier 400 Mbps.
Purchased a new modem, Netgear CM1100; and a new router, Netgear RAX40. I'm not gifted technology-wise, and that's an understatement particularly relating to networking. That said, it's been a helluva challenge getting this new network up and running. Been on the phone with Comcast and Netgear support. Almost there. . .
I assume this is correct: cable running from the modem to the router and wifi works fine. My laptop sits next to the router and I prefer to be wired into it. But if I run a cable from the router to the laptop, after about 30 seconds or so the wifi connection drops and the ethernet connection says "no internet".
When I unplug the router-laptop connection, wifi comes back. What am I doing wrong?

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2

Re: Ethernet Connection not detected

@AJ290 wrote:

But if I run a cable from the router to the laptop, after about 30 seconds or so the wifi connection drops and the ethernet connection says "no internet".

Is this a Windows laptop?

If so, my first guess is that you need to tell Windows that you are on a "private network".

• Network and Internet settings
  • Network Status
  • Change Connection Properties
  • Network Profile
  • Private

If that doesn't help, tell us a bit more about the wifi connection. What tells you that it goes off? Some other connected device? And what do the wifi LEDs on the RAX40 look like when this happens?

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7