× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Few devices don's connect to RAX80.

avRamRao
Follower

Few devices don's connect to RAX80.

I have never come across this situation so i am really curious to get to the bottom of this issue. 

I was staying at one of relatives house for some time. He had AT&T broadband he recently switched to spectrum and he got a Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router (RAX80). Everyone was able to connect to WiFi without any issues. 

I was back at their house during holidays and i was not able to connect to WiFi on my iphone 11 and work laptop. After restarting the router i was able to connect to WiFi on my work laptop but  iphone still doesn't connect to WiFi. 

My wife was there a week before me and was able to connect to WiFi on her one plus 5T (Mobile) and X1 Carbon. Even she started facing the same issue where she was not able to connect to WiFi on X1 carbon, oneplus and samsung s10 plus. 

Everyone else in the house were able to connect to WiFi, almost 8+ devices were able to connect except my iphone, my wife's one plus, samsung s10 plus and X1 carbon. 

We checked with our relative on the situation and he suggested that there might be a virus on the laptop which is blocking the gateway. I couldn't agree with that bcoz my wife hasn't browsed to any such sites or downloaded any crap recently. 

My argument was fine let's assume there is virus on the laptop what about the mobile phones, we even reset both the android devices to factory settings still we were unable to connect. The most important why iphone was not connecting to WiFi. 

My wife is still at the same house unable to connect to WiFi on both the android devices and laptop and i am back home  and i am able to connect my iphone to my home WiFi.

My wife started playing around with the wifi settings on the laptop and she enabled random hardware address and she was able to connect to WiFi. She informed that our relative logged into the router and saw that there are two IP address showing as blocked, those IPs are assigned to X1 carbon and one of the android device. 

After enabling the random hardware address the ip address and MAC address changed so i could understand that change of IP fixed the issue. But i am still unable to understand why the 2 IP address were blocked. Does WiFi router block IP addresses automatically if it does why and when does it do that?

I am pretty sure that the WiFi is pretty much capable of handling the number of devices in the house, there was no restriction set on the router for the devices, no ACLs. 

I am still not sure if i will be able to connect to WiFi on my iPhone, i would be going back probably next weekend

P.S : I know it's pretty lenghty, excuse me for that. I just wanted to make sure i have the situation explained in a proper way 

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Few devices don's connect to RAX80.

Hello avRamRao, 

Thank you for taking the time to write your experience. I'd like for our support team to work with you on the issue when you're able to get back to the router. If you're interested, please send me a private message with your contact info and preferred contact time. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7