× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Guest network issues

-SuperMario-
Aspirant

Guest network issues

Greetings community,

I am having issues with my guest network. I haven't changed anything in a while and got a complaint today that the guest network is not working.

The symptoms are being able to connect to the ssid but no internet is going through. Everything else is working on the router properly.

I changed the name to a unique name and back to the default and this did not solve the issue.

I'm on the most up-to-date firmware.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
-SuperMario-
Aspirant

Re: Guest network issues

Wanted to update everyone and thank you for helping.

Factory reset resolved the issue.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 15

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

@-SuperMario- wrote:
Greetings community,

I am having issues with my guest network. I haven't changed anything in a while and got a complaint today that the guest network is not working.

The symptoms are being able to connect to the ssid but no internet is going through. Everything else is working on the router properly.

I changed the name to a unique name and back to the default and this did not solve the issue.

With your RAX120, have you recently powered down and restarted your local network?  What is the brand name and model number of your upstream device between the RAX120 and the internet?

There is a sequence for powering up a local network.

Start with the power buttons off and the power cord disconnected for both your modem/ONT and router. Disconnect the Ethernet cord between the two devices.

Power up your modem/ONT and give it plenty of time to boot and connect to the internet. The device should have an indicator that shows connection to the internet.

Connect the Ethernet cord to your router, connect the power cord, and boot up the router. Give it plenty of time to boot and connect to the internet. The device should have an indicator that shows connection to the internet. Connect your devices and verify access to the internet.

Message 2 of 15
-SuperMario-
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply. I did as you asked and no luck. I am trying to connect something as simple as my phone to my guest network. And it does not work. I have a galaxy Samsung s23 ultra. It connects fine to my main household network. I restarted everything and still no dice.
Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

If you set the security to the GN to NONE temporarily. Will the device connect to the network at all? 
Re-enable WPA security after testing this. 

Message 4 of 15
Kitsap
Master

@-SuperMario- wrote:
Thank you for the reply. I did as you asked and no luck. I am trying to connect something as simple as my phone to my guest network. And it does not work. I have a galaxy Samsung s23 ultra. It connects fine to my main household network. I restarted everything and still no dice.

On your main Wi-Fi network, do you have smart connect enabled?

Make sure you have smart connect not enabled with separate SSID's for the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands on both your main network and guest network.

Message 5 of 15
-SuperMario-
Aspirant

I tried both of the solutions and non of them worked unfortunately. 😔
Message 6 of 15
Kitsap
Master

Repeat question:

What is the brand name and model number of your upstream device between the RAX120 and the internet?

Message 7 of 15
-SuperMario-
Aspirant

Still no dice.
Message 8 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this?

Is this the only device that has problems on the GN? 

@-SuperMario- wrote:

Message 9 of 15
-SuperMario-
Aspirant

No, all devices are having this problem. Not just my phone unfortunately.
Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Be sure to disable any MAC Address randomizers on phones and pads while at home:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-...

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

FYI, I've had my RAX120v2 online since last week. Guest Network enabled. All devices connect to the GN fine. I'm using current released FW. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-with-WiFi-6-AX-and/New-RAX120v1-and-RAX120v2-Firmware-Ver...

I do notice some odd graphical WEB UI mis-behaviors. Seems that the router mis-reports my one of my wireless devices as a wired connection and another being on 2.4Ghz rather then 5Ghz. 🙄

@DarrenM 

Message 11 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@-SuperMario- wrote:
Greetings community,

Message 12 of 15
-SuperMario-
Aspirant

When I get home from work I will do a factory reset since I have not done this since last firmware update and will report back.
Message 13 of 15
-SuperMario-
Aspirant

Wanted to update everyone and thank you for helping.

Factory reset resolved the issue.
Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7