× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

HP Printer and RAX120

jconway1006
Aspirant

HP Printer and RAX120

Hey All,

So a few weeks ago I got the RAX120  Went to print something today via Wifi and noticed my printer wasn't connected.  HP Laserjet Pro 200 (M251 I believe)  Pretty sure its a wifi setting.  But not sure what one.  Anyone have a similar issue with their printer?  

Thanks in advance.....

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 25
Topology
Virtuoso

Re: HP Printer and RAX120

Jconway1006, you may wish to try configuring a static IP address for the printer (see the router’s webpage ADVANCED | Setup | LAN Setup | Address Reservation).  After doing so, you will need to power-down/power-up the printer for the change to become effective.

Message 2 of 25
jconway1006
Aspirant

Not sure why i didn't think of that. I does give me a wpa password error or something. I'll try the reservation first. Then post the other error if it doesn't work. 

Message 3 of 25

The usual way to fix wifi printers is to find the printer maker's utility, the software that runs on your operating system. Then use that to connect the printer to the wifi.

The router just broadcasts wifi. It is then down to the printer to play ball. There isn't much that you can do on a router, beyond fixing it to a particular IP address, that affects what the printer gets up to.

Where possible, using the WPS feature can simplify things.

Message 4 of 25
jconway1006
Aspirant

I tried all of the above to get it to work.  I had an older Netgear Router (R7000P) and this all worked without an issue.

I tried the HP software and the reservation via my router and the WPS setup and nothing works.  Its just a nice feature to have thats all.  I might have to open a support ticket if i still have it covered on this new router....

Message 5 of 25

@jconway1006 wrote:

I tried all of the above to get it to work.  I had an older Netgear Router (R7000P) and this all worked without an issue.

Perhaps the printer remembers its connection with the old router and needs a reset.

@jconway1006 wrote:

I tried the HP software and the reservation via my router and the WPS setup and nothing works. 

You can approach fixing the IP address from two directions, the router and/or the printer. Tell the printer to use a particular IP address and see if that works. That's how I configure my Canon printer.

@jconway1006 wrote:

I might have to open a support ticket if i still have it covered on this new router....

How about asking HP? It makes the printer.

Message 6 of 25
Topology
Virtuoso

Jconway1006, if your printer supports a DNS Address Configuration feature, it may be helpful to select the option “Manual DNS Server” (rather than “Automatic DNS Server”) and enter your preferred DNS addresses. Based on this thread, DNS issues with the RAX120 may cause network connectivity issues.

Message 7 of 25
LeeH
Prodigy

I had that problem too.  I always setup my Laserjets with static IP's starting at .200  It took two printer reboots on two days in order for it to show them connected.  They are always showing as being connected now.  Don't know why they were showing up as not connected at first but are working fine for the last two weeks.  Mine are wired.

Message 8 of 25
jconway1006
Aspirant

It’s only with this router. Didn’t do it with the last one I had. Definitely has something to do with the newer technology in this router. My guess is if I put it to the lowest 2.4g settings it will work. The new “ax” technology is to new for the printer.

I only use it when printing from my iPad and I have other ways around that.
Message 9 of 25
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Sometimes drivers need updating so worth checking if there's any for the printer.

insure TX is on in advanced settings on router. 

Don't use 40ht on 2.4 as some printers don't like this, use 20ht if you are on 40ht.

Message 10 of 25
jconway1006
Aspirant

I tried those settings just not and still nothing.  And I had to manually reboot the router cause it must not have liked the change.  The settings held but my WiFi went down.

I give up on this one.  Its not super important.  More of an incovience to me really.

Message 11 of 25
Topology
Virtuoso

Jconway1006, it may be beneficial to disable Protected Management Frames on the RAX120, which are enabled by default.  Disabling PMF is designed to “fix legacy wireless client and printer connection issues,” according to Netgear.

Please see the router’s webpage at ADVANCED | Advanced Setup | Wireless Settings | Disable PMF.

Message 12 of 25
jconway1006
Aspirant

Yeah still won't connect....  Apprectiate the help though....

Message 13 of 25
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Put the router in ac mode and try

Message 14 of 25
jconway1006
Aspirant

Nope still won't connect..... 

@Newfiedrool wrote:

Put the router in ac mode and try

Message 15 of 25
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

I take it you have gone through the WiFi wizard setup and reading it can't be used whilst connected to a computer and wirelessly at the same time.

Message 16 of 25
jconway1006
Aspirant

It was connected to USB but I unplugged rebooted PC and Printer and tried WIFI again and it still doesn't work.

Message 17 of 25
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Have you the manual for the printer?

Message 18 of 25
jconway1006
Aspirant

I'm sure I can download it.  But I'll say this.  Only change I made to my network in a very long time was this router.  SSID and passwords all the same on this router vs my older one.  Which I still have.  Again its not to important I get this going. 

I'm actually an IT guy as well and its my nature to try and get this working but I don't print much.  And still can from my PC.  Just a nice added bonus to print Wifi when needed thats all.

Message 19 of 25
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/hp-laserjet-pro-200-color-printer-m251-series/5097632

you need to run the setup wizard. I've linked the page above so you can check device drivers and obtain the manual.

Message 20 of 25
jconway1006
Aspirant

So my router took a firmware update two days ago and I just noticed this morning that my printer is on WIFI again!  LOL

Message 21 of 25

The result of "action at a distance".

Message 22 of 25
onvison
Tutor

I have the same Pinter Laserjet 200 and just got the AX12 and I have that same annoying problem. Everything is connected except my printer. It tells me that the Security passcode is incorrect. 

I also work in IT and this is super annoying. 

Ive done manual ip settings, reserved ips, and firmware updates etc. How did you fix the problem? Thanks

Message 23 of 25
onvison
Tutor

WIFI protected setup went through successfully on the Rounter both in Pin mode and puch button mode but also both ways displayed Failed to connect from the printer screen. For some reason this printer does not like this router!

Message 24 of 25
onvison
Tutor

Problem is definitely coming from the security types of the AX12, when I remove the security completely the printer connects, but I cant keep the network open so Im not sure what other option there is ( there isnt a firmware update available for the printer or router)

Message 25 of 25
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7