× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to check if my RAX10 router is transmitting in Wi-Fi 6 mode

ramesh_iyer
Aspirant

How to check if my RAX10 router is transmitting in Wi-Fi 6 mode

I had bought the RAX10 Wi-Fi 6 router 2 years ago. But back then I didn't have any device which is Wi-Fi 6 capable. Few months ago I got a new smartphone which is Wi-Fi 6 capable. Yet, I notice that when I connect the phone with my RAX10 it shows "Wi-Fi 5" on my phone not "Wi-Fi 6". So, how do I check in my router's settings if it is transmitting in Wi-Fi 6 mode ? I have checked the settings as per the User Manual and it all seems fine.

Any clarification or guidance on this would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ramesh

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Kitsap
Master

Re: How to check if my RAX10 router is transmitting in Wi-Fi 6 mode

@ramesh_iyer wrote:

Both my smartphones - Motorola G54 and Samsung A34 are 5G capable and as per manufacturer info are also Wi-Fi 6 capable. Neither of them connect to my Netgear RAX10 over Wi-Fi 6, as mentioned earlier.

You are confused by the terminology.  In the world of cell phone connections, 5G refers to 5th Generation connections to cell towers.

I looked up the specifications for both of your cell phones.  Neither is capable of connecting to Wi-Fi 6.  Attached is a two page PDF file with links to the specification pages and screen snips of the Wi-Fi connection capability.  One page for each phone model.

For reference, here is a link to a good document regarding Wi-Fi understanding.

https://www.wiisfi.com/

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

On the Routers web page under Basic Tab/Wireless settings you may see a check box for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz AX mode. 

Also can check the wifi status on the routers web page under Advanced tab in the wireless information boxes for each radio. 

Message 2 of 10
ramesh_iyer
Aspirant

Well, my devices do connect over 5Ghz but they show "Wi-Fi 5" not "Wi-Fi 6" which is the issue.

Message 3 of 10
Kitsap
Master

@ramesh_iyer wrote:

Well, my devices do connect over 5Ghz but they show "Wi-Fi 5" not "Wi-Fi 6" which is the issue.

Both Wi-Fi 5 and Wi-Fi 6 transmit over the 5 GHz frequency band.  Your router may not have the Wi-Fi 6 transmission enabled.  Look where @FURRYe38 said to look to see if Wi-Fi 6 is enabled.

Message 4 of 10
ramesh_iyer
Aspirant

Yes, AX mode is enabled, and sso are OFDMA for both 2.4 & 5Ghz. Hence my query.

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Need to make sure that the device your connecting is actually supporting of AX mode. 

@ramesh_iyer wrote:

Message 6 of 10
ramesh_iyer
Aspirant

Both my smartphones - Motorola G54 and Samsung A34 are 5G capable and as per manufacturer info are also Wi-Fi 6 capable. Neither of them connect to my Netgear RAX10 over Wi-Fi 6, as mentioned earlier.

Message 7 of 10
Kitsap
Master

@ramesh_iyer wrote:

You are confused by the terminology.  In the world of cell phone connections, 5G refers to 5th Generation connections to cell towers.

I looked up the specifications for both of your cell phones.  Neither is capable of connecting to Wi-Fi 6.  Attached is a two page PDF file with links to the specification pages and screen snips of the Wi-Fi connection capability.  One page for each phone model.

For reference, here is a link to a good document regarding Wi-Fi understanding.

https://www.wiisfi.com/

Message 8 of 10
ramesh_iyer
Aspirant

Thanks mate for your efforts and clarification with PDF (though I prefer referring to the manufacturer's product page on their website, and not GSMArena which sometimes gets tech specs wrong). But yes, both both phones do seem to have only Wi-Fi 5 capability as per your PDF as well as on brand sites. I wrongly mistook Wi-Fi 6 to be 802.11ac but it's ax.

BTW, I mentioned 5G as most mid-range 5G phones seem to have Wi-Fi 6 now a days. Anyways, it's clear now. Thanks again.

Message 9 of 10
Kitsap
Master

You are welcome.  Glad you got it sorted.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7