× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I NEED HELP CHOOSING A ROUTER/MODEM COMBO

dappermortician
Aspirant

I NEED HELP CHOOSING A ROUTER/MODEM COMBO

Hey y'all. I really need help deciding on a router/modem combo. I have spectrum internet 400mps and I am having a hard time justifying paying an arm and a leg for their services and thinking of getting a router/modem combo in one to get rid of their terrible rented devices or switch over to t-mobles new home internet. I know people may laugh at this post but I am clueless when it comes to this stuff. I have my home security camera backup hooked up, solar pannels, apple tv and use my MacBook with my wifi and my phone. I have my apple TV plugged right into my router. I may be wrong when I'm descibing terms so please don't laugh. Just a guy looking to be pointed in the right direction and not be disappointed.

Thank you all in advance

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: I NEED HELP CHOOSING A ROUTER/MODEM COMBO

rarely in my life have I ever recommended an modem/router combo device. 

Reason why is that modem/router combo devices have the firmeware controlled by the isp as well as not all isp's support the same devices. 

For example, if you bought a modem/router combo device to use with spectrum and then changed to Tmobile internet later, you wouldn't be able to use the modem/router combo device with tmobile because the modem isn't compatible. Versus if you bought a router seperate from the modem, you'd be able to connect the router to the tmobile's router and expand your coverage. 

what I'd do? when I last used spectrum, they weren't charging for the modem. That could have changed but if it hasn't, let them supply the modem, and then you only need to buy a router. If they do charge for a modem, then just ask them what modems are compatible with their service and the speed tier you're paying for. 

that would cover the modem, then you'd just need to purchase a router that meets your needs. 

Message 2 of 5
dappermortician
Aspirant

Thank you for the quick response. I wish I had more options for internet providers in my area. Spectrum charges an arm and a leg and you aren’t even getting the full speed you’re paying for and the other company is WOW and they are absolutely awful
Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Cable Modem products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Cable modems and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this router forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/bd-p/home-cable-modems-routers

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you.

Message 4 of 5
Razor512
Prodigy

If possible, go with a separate modem and router. While there are some small savings from a combo unit. In my opinion, it is not worth it especially considering that router technology changes far quicker than cable tech. Beyond that, due to arbitrary restrictions, there are far more firmware restrictions, with many cable companies being insanely slot in approving new firmware updates.

If I were stuck with cable internet, Personally, I would buy a Netgear CM2000 as it is currently the fastest cable modem, and has a 2.5GbE port thus no need for LACP, and at $200, it is still cheaper than what the ISP rents out when you consider the rental fees over many months.

Then check what WiFi routers you have laying around at the moment, and see if they can allow you to experience the full internet speed, if not then but a new router that wll allow for that.

PS, even on slower plans, a top of the line cable modem offers many benefits. Mainly when it comes to dealing with congestion, More downstream and upstream channels often helps you to get closer to the speed you are actually paying for when on an oversold node.

Beyond that, higher quality transcievers are able to handle overly weak as well as overly strong signals.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7