× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I want to ask about ax40 or ax80 before i buy it.

Rp4000
Aspirant

I want to ask about ax40 or ax80 before i buy it.

Ok I am in the market for a new router my router that I have been using since 2012 is getting old it's a dual band AC router.
My question is how well do these new AX routers work with older devices because I have only one device now s10+ that has wifi6.

Older devices wireless:
-iPhone 8
-iPad air
-Samsung galaxy 2012 tablet note 10.1
-Dell inspiron laptop i3
-Macbook pro 2009

Wired connects:
Android tv box
Smart tv
Nas server
Desktop computer

I am really confused at if I should get a new ax router or just buy another AC router.
Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router, RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Re: I want to ask about ax40 or ax80 before i buy it.

@Rp4000 wrote:
Ok I am in the market for a new router my router that I have been using since 2012 is getting old it's a dual band AC router.

Is it just the age that concerns you? Or is there something on your system that doesn't work?

Has your Internet service changed in ways that suggest that you need something newer?

@Rp4000 wrote:

I am really confused at if I should get a new ax router or just buy another AC router.

A good start would be to read the long list of messages about AX routers.

Message 2 of 10
Rp4000
Aspirant

The age of my devices most are ac/n devices . But I wanted a new ax type router but after reading alot of people complaints i had a lot of dought on buying a netgear . So how has the new firmware improved on the router or are there still alot of issues.
Message 3 of 10
Rp4000
Aspirant

The other reason why I want a new router is because max speed on my old router is 300MB
Message 4 of 10
digitsnbits
Apprentice

I owned both the RAX40 and the RAX80. I say owned because I got rid of both because of the horrible firmware. I would recommend staying far away from Netgear, the comments here are proof enough of the ongoing unfixed problems these routers have.

Message 5 of 10
Rp4000
Aspirant

Let me ask you this. What router are you going to buy or did buy to replace the others. I was also looking at the asus ax88u
Message 6 of 10

@Rp4000 wrote:
I was also looking at the asus ax88u

I'd check where people hang out to talk about those things. You won't find many experts here.

AX technology is new – still work in progress – and you may find similar gripes there. Some of the problems track back to the drivers involved in the wifi clients that connect to AX

Just one problem, you may have trouble finding somewhere to get feedback from Asus users, it seems that Asus doesn't maintain a place like this. Maybe try Amazon reviews?

Message 7 of 10
digitsnbits
Apprentice

I originally had an RAX80 and a RAX40, both had so many firmware issues I got rid of both. 
I currently have an Asus RT-AX88U and an Asus RT-AX58U. Both are infinitely better than anything Netgear puts out. If you want some info from some real experts try SNBForums. The so-called expert users on here will never acknowledge a problem ever exists, the fix is always a reset and latest trash firmware upgrade, open a trouble ticket with support and never see a solution or a fix for problems that have existed for months, now going on years.

They'll also tell you these problems exist with all AX routers, that they're new and they all have these issues that the manufacturers are still working out. That's complete BS, there are stable AX routers that work as they should with no issues. I have two of them right now.

Message 8 of 10
Rp4000
Aspirant

When you got your ax88u did you update the firmware and have you had any issues with older devices( 2013) that only support N or old AC
Message 9 of 10
digitsnbits
Apprentice

You actually have a couple of choices on Asus for firmware. The stock firmware is pretty good and you also have Merlin firmware which is excellent and is updated almost on a monthly basis.

The RT-AX88U is supported by both stock and Merlin. The 58U is only stock firmware but it's really good, no issues. I've never had any issues using N or AC clients with either router so far, no drops, disconnects, etc. You can learn all about all of this with detailed info at smallnetbuilder.com. Ask questions there are thousands of users who have advise on every manufacturer of network equipment made and what works and what's garbage.

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7