× Our systems will undergo a planned maintenance on Sunday, May 19, 2024, between 12:00 AM and 02:00 AM Pacific Time. During the maintenance window, you will not be able to log in to your MyNETGEAR account (including apps), renew a subscription, or register a product. However, you will still be able to use guest checkout to purchase a new product or subscription service. Updates will be posted to Status.NETGEAR.com. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is NIGHTHAWK® AX8 8-STREAM WIFI 6 CABLE MODEM ROUTER compatible with Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6 system?

Jcbain
Aspirant

Is NIGHTHAWK® AX8 8-STREAM WIFI 6 CABLE MODEM ROUTER compatible with Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6 system?

I just got a Nighthawk Ax8 cable modem router set up, and It’s working very well with Xfinity. Now, I am thinking about getting Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6 system, but I am not sure if these two systems are compatible. I would think they are, but I would Rant some facts before I commit. Does anyone know that these systems are compatible?
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Is NIGHTHAWK® AX8 8-STREAM WIFI 6 CABLE MODEM ROUTER compatible with Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6 syste

Compatible as they'll work as mesh together? No they're not. The CAX80 isn't a mesh device. 

Compatible as can you connect the mesh system to the CAX80? Yes you can. Just put the orbi system in ap mode or the CAX80 in modem only mode. 

If the Orbi's in ap mode, set it with a seperate ssid and make sure its on a different wireless channels than the cax80 to prevent interference.

Or return the CAX80 (if your still within the return period) and buy a modem without a router integrated. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: Is NIGHTHAWK® AX8 8-STREAM WIFI 6 CABLE MODEM ROUTER compatible with Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6 syste

Compatible as they'll work as mesh together? No they're not. The CAX80 isn't a mesh device. 

Compatible as can you connect the mesh system to the CAX80? Yes you can. Just put the orbi system in ap mode or the CAX80 in modem only mode. 

If the Orbi's in ap mode, set it with a seperate ssid and make sure its on a different wireless channels than the cax80 to prevent interference.

Or return the CAX80 (if your still within the return period) and buy a modem without a router integrated. 

Message 2 of 3
Jcbain
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.  Yeah, that's what I was afriad of - putting mesh device as AP...  

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7