× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Mesh using a non Netgear modern as the main router

Hamsterfangs
Aspirant

Mesh using a non Netgear modern as the main router

I have a Modem/Router that is the central connection to four Cat6 cables, each has a switch at the other end connecting to various devices and a ubiquiti mesh AP.
I still don't get total house/garden coverage so I'm looking at replacing it with WiFi 6.
Ubiquiti don't yet do WiFi 6, and when they do it'll be hugely expensive. Plus I'm looking to NOT renew the controller subscription, and also get better parental controls.
BTW - I don't need WiFi at the Router, so this device only needs to distribute the incoming ADSL+ to four Cat6, and possibly control the mesh (unless the mesh can be managed from the other end of one of the Cat6 spurs).
Can you guys recommend a router and AP combo that can make use of my existing Cat6 infrastructure?
Thx.
Model: AC2400|Nighthawk AC2400 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
rinthos
Luminary

Re: Mesh using a non Netgear modern as the main router

@Hamsterfangs wrote:
I have a Modem/Router that is the central connection to four Cat6 cables, each has a switch at the other end connecting to various devices and a ubiquiti mesh AP.
I still don't get total house/garden coverage so I'm looking at replacing it with WiFi 6.
Ubiquiti don't yet do WiFi 6, and when they do it'll be hugely expensive. Plus I'm looking to NOT renew the controller subscription, and also get better parental controls.
BTW - I don't need WiFi at the Router, so this device only needs to distribute the incoming ADSL+ to four Cat6, and possibly control the mesh (unless the mesh can be managed from the other end of one of the Cat6 spurs).
Can you guys recommend a router and AP combo that can make use of my existing Cat6 infrastructure?
Thx.

This almost sounds like a pre-cabled house setup (congrats if it is by the way)! 🙂 

You mentioned a cloud controller subscription so I assume you have a Unify setup or is it just a smaller AmpliFi setup?  For either the cheapest path for you is just to purchase additional Mesh APs for your existing system, and an on-site unify controller if you're trying to break out of the subscription.

Also it sounds like you want to replace the Modem/Router you have...Ultiamtely you'll want to separate out the Router from the modem, so if you really have ADSL+ I'd first get an ADSL modem, and then use your cat6 patch that leads to a location you'd want to have WiFi to then place your router.  In Netgear's world, the best Mesh options would be ORBI but again for WiFi 6 not cheap (They have a lower end model that's just been launched, but you'll need to get several mesh extensions/APs depending on how large your area is to cover).

But to clarify, you're not going to be able to tap into your existing Ubiquiti infrastructure, so if you're willing to write that off as a loss, Netgear Orbi might work well w/ a separate ADSL modem.  

Too many unknowns/questions really for your setup, and again if it's just to cover dead-space for WiFi, just add more Mesh APs to your existing system.  But if there's more to this, please share what else you're trying to accomplish.

Message 2 of 4
Hamsterfangs
Aspirant

Thanks Rinthos.
Yes, I have whole house Cat6.
Yes, I am happy to write off the Unifi hardware.
Yes, I need a new router with parental control built in.
Orbi looks good, if a little expensive.
I guess what I need to know is:
Which routers can manage a mesh;
Which mesh APs can be bought as separates (MS60 looks good but can't be bought on their own afaict);
Do the mesh APs need to be connected directly (single cable) to the router or can they just exist anywhere on the same subnet?
Message 3 of 4
rinthos
Luminary

@Hamsterfangs wrote:
Thanks Rinthos.
Yes, I have whole house Cat6.
Yes, I am happy to write off the Unifi hardware.
Yes, I need a new router with parental control built in.
Orbi looks good, if a little expensive.
I guess what I need to know is:
Which routers can manage a mesh;
Which mesh APs can be bought as separates (MS60 looks good but can't be bought on their own afaict);
Do the mesh APs need to be connected directly (single cable) to the router or can they just exist anywhere on the same subnet?

For Parental Control, if you're happy w/ Circle (or you can pay monthly to upgrade to Circle premium) then you can filter, set times, and the usual category monitoring for your household, so in general the Netgear product lines are nearly the same for this capability.

For Netgear routers to manage a mesh and WiFi 6, Orbi is Netgear's Mesh option.  They recently announced a lower cost WiFi 6 alternative:

The MK62/MS60 combination is being released now as a lower cost option....but none of the other Netgear routers can manage a Mesh if you really want a Mesh network.

What you could do is purchase a Netgear Router (RAX120, RAX200, whatever you prefer) and then get WiFi expansion / extender devices.

Arguably that would work with nearly all Netgear's WiFi 6 router, but it's not a Mesh network in the true sense and it's just the classical range extender approach and it's not centrally managed by the routers.  Each range extender is managed individually.

For Orbi, there is a new AX4200 lower cost option, vs. the premier AX6000 models, but it's brand new, so don't think you'll get much feedback in these forums for reviews just yet.

To your question of which Mesh APs can be purchased separately, Orbi devices can be purchased separately, and MS60s as you also noticed, but they are not cross-compatible at this point in time.  Usually for a Mesh network, the compatibility to form a true Mesh is very important, so likely why you aren't finding too much in terms of multi-model Mesh options.

For Orbi Mesh, each Orbi unit connects "Wirelessly".  They have their own dedicated Wireless network (in addition to the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks you use) that they create a "backplane mesh".  So it's a wireless Mesh. 🙂

Hope this helps, and appologies for the delayed response.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7