× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

My laptop can connect the router RAX70 via Open VPN from public Internet, but cannot obtain IP addre

dragonli
Aspirant

My laptop can connect the router RAX70 via Open VPN from public Internet, but cannot obtain IP addre

Dear ALL,

After I enabled the VPN serivce in the router, and intalled the Open VPN client from my laptop, intalled the certifate, import the configure client.ovpn, well prepared the DHCP IP pools & renamed the adapter to "NETGEAR-VPN". From public Internet, my laptop can connect the OpenVPN, and it is connected to the router successfully according to the router log. But the laptop can't obtain the IP address from the router for the adapter "NETGEAR-VPN". I tried below two firmware versions and no luck. Pleae advice next step. Thanks!

Firmware 1 of the router RAX70: RAX70-V1.0.13.128
Firmware 2 of the router RAX70: RAX70-V1.0.15.146

OpenVPN version: OpenVPN-2.6.9-I001-amd64.msi

Client platform: Win 11 64 bits

BR,

Dragon

Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: My laptop can connect the router RAX70 via Open VPN from public Internet, but cannot obtain IP a

Configuring a TAP or TUN from the RAX70?

In case of using TAP - which does establish a network bridge between the computer and the RAX70 LAN - keep in mind this requires to different networks on both ends of the connection. This could prohibit getting  DHCP address (served by the remote RAX70).

Message 2 of 4
dragonli
Aspirant

Re: My laptop can connect the router RAX70 via Open VPN from public Internet, but cannot obtain IP a

Dear ALL,

The network of the router is 192.168.1.x and the client is using the IP from the network 192.168.2.x. But I received the log "Warning: route gateway is not reachable on any active network adapters: 192.168.1.1" once connected to OpenVPN. And I did not find any blocked device from the Security / Access Control of the RAX70. Please advice next step. Thanks!

BR,
Dragon Li

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@dragonli wrote:

The network of the router is 192.168.1.x and the client is using the IP from the network 192.168.2.x.

That's on the local OpenVPN (from where you try to stablish the connection), or on the RAX70 router itself?

@dragonli wrote:

But I received the log "Warning: route gateway is not reachable on any active network adapters: 192.168.1.1" once connected to OpenVPN.

Wild guess, on the local computer where you try to establish the OpenVPN connection from. Typical cause is when the software bridge can't be loaded or activated.

Was this OpenVPN set-up workable before, or is this all new?

The other location you are trying to establish a connection to does have a routeable, public IPV4 address, too?

Please post the complete log from the OpenVPN GUI, right click, under the connection you find something like a "Show Log". Edit the public IP address as xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx before posting please.

Keep in mind you we're community members, not Netgear support. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7