× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NETGEAR Night hawk MS80

HenriqueLang
Aspirant

NETGEAR Night hawk MS80

Dear fellows!

Purchased a Netgear Nighthawk wifi6 MR-80 with five MS80 satelites to use in my home.

One MS80 satelite cannot connect to my MESH network.

Tried factory reset, sync, etc. there is a strange white led blinking. Twice blinking alternating with one blinking.

My nighthawk android app shows me all 5 satelites, includind the last one that seems defective. But when I click in details  I can see it's Mac address, serial number, but no IP address and no firmware version.

I am suspecting some kind of firmware issue.

Is there a way to re-flash firmware on this satelite?

Cannot find any similar problem with this mesh and no solution.

Appreciate any help

Henrique

Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: NETGEAR Night hawk MS80

I think at one time I'd read the maximum supported for the MK series was 3 but others had gotten more working. 

A trick that some had to use with the orbi system was to shut off the paired satellites to get the un-paired devices connected and working. then they turned the others back on. 

I'd try that first. 

Not many have that system so I haven't seen an official list or even many that have added that many. 

another thing to check on is if you're daisy chaining or star topology. 

Even orbi maxes out with daisy chaining 2x devices. 

@DarrenM Any ideas how many maximum have been added or potentially can? 

Message 2 of 8
HenriqueLang
Aspirant

Thnaks helping me solving this problem. But actualy this mesh system support lots of satelites like MS80.

I think that there is some issue concerning firmware. The behavior of  while led blinking is totally different from users guide.

white led blinking is not as described in the manual. It´s blinking white twice alteranting with one time blinking.

There is no information about this in the manual.

factory reseting or trying to sync does not modify blinking behavior.

I purchased router (MR80) and 3 satellites (MS80). Pairing was fast and easy. The 4th unit (MS80) paired fast. The last and 5th unit did not connected as supposed to do. This particularly MS80 cannot get IP address.

I tried only pairing this satelite with router (MR80), but as soon it reboots, the strange behavior of white led blinkg starts again.

Cannot find any solution in netgear forum.

I suspect it comes defective, unfortunately.

Thanks any way.

Henrique

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

are you able to access the MS80 using its default IP address? 

Push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds while its powered on. That'll reset it. 

The default ip address is 192.168.1.250.  you can hardwire a pc/laptop into it. 

If you can, try reinstalling the firmware to it. Maybe something is corrupt in the firmware. 

Then try setting it up. 

If that doesn't work, I'd either RMA it or exchange it where you got it. 

Message 4 of 8
HenriqueLang
Aspirant

Thanks for you sugestions

Tried reseting as you said, but white led blinking did not changed nothing.

I will try the IP address you suggest

But, curiously, my nighthawk app can see this MS80, but in the detais tab, there is no IP address and no firmware information. It´s blank.

I will try as a last attempt using this default IP. Hope it works

Otherwise I will loose this unit.

I live in Brazil

To send it back to USA will be a long time to arrive at NetGear company.

It was purchased from amazon.com

Thanks anyway.

P.S. I too believe it´s  fault firmware bug.

Best regargs

Henrique

Message 5 of 8
HenriqueLang
Aspirant

Tried your suggestion

Nopes!

It's still blinking white led twice and once a time

What a noticed, after pressing 15s reset botton white led becomes orange (ambar). For a second I believed my problem was solved. But 2 s after returned white, blinking again.

What is strange is my app see the MS80 but cannot find any IP or firmware version. So I believe it's a fault firmware.

Connecting to my PC wired cannot enter web page from this MS80 satelite.

Thanks anyway

I am ssurprise how can NetGear sell a faault unity? No quality control?

Best Regards

Henrique

Message 6 of 8
plemans
Guru

@HenriqueLang wrote:

I am ssurprise how can NetGear sell a faault unity? No quality control?

Best Regards

Henrique

When you sell in mass quantinties, you will have devices that fail. Or fail from shipping. 

Might be worth checking with a moderator to see if there's anything else to try. I don't have any of the MK series so unsure if there's any thing else to try with them. 

@DarrenM 

Message 7 of 8
HenriqueLang
Aspirant

Darren

I appreciate your comments

Unfortunately I am very sad about this problem. I have 4 MS80 and a MK83 router. Everything working ok! I need one more MS80 just in my office. But this one recuses to work. 

I cannot send back to USA. It will take almost two months to arrive there. In my country Netgear will not fix it. It's not available here.

Thanks anyway.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7