× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NETGEAR RAX 200 / Orbi

DearGeo
Tutor

NETGEAR RAX 200 / Orbi

How can I connect these two router together so I can extend my WIFI around my house. I get some dead spots that I need help with. I own both routers.
Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router, RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

RAX and Orbi are not wirelessly intermixable. They can work separately. 

You could use the RAX has the main host router and configure the Orbi for AP Mode. Vice Versa between them.

It's not recommended to have two routers on the same line. 

The RAX can work as a wifi client in bridge mode. 

If you need additional information, Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AC products:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/bd-p/Orbi

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the NightHawk RAX WiFi 6 Router products:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/bd-p/en-home-routers-nighthawk-wif...

Message 2 of 14
plemans
Guru

I've literally had my network setup with both. 

But they don't integrate. 

What I did was setup the RAX as the primary router. And I connected the Orbi system to it in access point mode. 

This allowed me to have peak performance/speeds while connected to the RAX network and for my devices on the peripheral or that moved around a lot, I had on the orbi for better coverage. Just make sure you have the 2 networks on different ssid's and using different wireless channels to prevent interference. 

It'd be nice if they integrated together but sadly, they dont. 

Message 3 of 14
DearGeo
Tutor

I plugged in my Orbi and I have Frontier FiberOptic 1000 Mbps both up and download. But I noticed with my Orbi, I see speeds up to 990 Mbps (up) and 998 Mbps (down) speed. But with my RAX 200 the most I get is 850 up / 820 down. I have it programs to handle speeds of 1000 Mbps 2.4 ghz and 4800 Mbps 5Ghz. Is there a setting I have to change?
Message 4 of 14
plemans
Guru

How are you testing speeds? The built in speedtest isn't that accurate at speeds over 500mbps as it rarely picks the best server. 

Message 5 of 14
DearGeo
Tutor

Gigabyte tester which I borrowed from Frontier
Message 6 of 14
plemans
Guru

@DearGeo wrote:
Gigabyte tester which I borrowed from Frontier

Which is what? Just testing the ethernet? Testing the incoming line? 

What device is this and how does it accurately test? 

Why aren't you testing with your equipment since that'll be whats used at home? 

Message 7 of 14
DearGeo
Tutor

It’s called Net Alley it’s 2 gig FiberOptic network speed tester.
Message 8 of 14
plemans
Guru

connect a computer/pc to it and test it with a device that actually uses the internet. 

Message 9 of 14
DearGeo
Tutor

That’s what Frontier uses to test the actual speed. Of course my computer does 850 something up/down. Being down that route. Guess you don’t use FiberOptic- it connect directly to my router - there’s no modem.
Message 10 of 14
DearGeo
Tutor

That is actually Frontier’s equipment I was using. To expensive for me to own.
Message 11 of 14
plemans
Guru

@DearGeo wrote:
That’s what Frontier uses to test the actual speed. Of course my computer does 850 something up/down. Being down that route. Guess you don’t use FiberOptic- it connect directly to my router - there’s no modem.

I get that there is no modem. That there's an ONT. But testing with frontiers equipment is pointless and tells us only that the fibre is providing the needed speed.

We're trying to figure out if its a computer/server/testing issue. 

So connect your computer to the ONT and test it. See what the computer gets. 

Then connect it to the orbi. And when you test the speeds on your computer, test using different servers are not all can saturate gigabit. 

Message 12 of 14
DearGeo
Tutor

I’ve connected two dell computers and older version windows 10 and a new version windows 11. Also connected a newer Mac and I roughly get the same numbers from all 3 systems. Just to narrow it down, my sister has frontier across the street from me and I connected my PC’s and MAC to her account. I get closed to 989 down and up give or take. Now I also connected my RAX to her network and its just shy of 750 mbs up/down. So I come to the conclusion it’s this router, while connected to her network I got “lost wire connection “ and quickly Connects back. So it’s this RAX 200 router
Message 13 of 14

@DearGeo wrote:
That is actually Frontier’s equipment I was using. To expensive for me to own.

You are testing the speed of their network infrastructure, not the speed of your devices.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7