× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RAXE500 Firmware Version 1.2.13.100 Released

Razor512
Prodigy

NOTICE - RAXE500 Firmware Version 1.2.13.100 Released - DO NOT USE!!!

Bug Fixes: 12/12/2023

• Fixes the issue where Anywhere Access doesn’t work when Web Services Management is turned on.
  • Fixes the issue where the on-board log doesn’t automatically clear after logs are emailed.
  • Fixes the issue where the download and upload values shown by the built-in speed test are lower than the actual line rate.
  • Fixes the issue where the 2.4G band doesn’t switch to 40 MHz when 2.4G 20/40 MHz Coexistence is disabled.
  • Fixes the issue where iPhones cannot connect to the 2.4G guest SSID successfully when WPA3 encryption is enabled.
  • Fixes the issue where the Nighthawk App shows errors when onboarding with PPPoE.
  • Fixes the issue where Nighthawk App users see the “Something went wrong” error message when trying to enable Anywhere Access.
  • Fixes the issue with low performance when Port Aggregation LACP mode is enabled.
  • Fixes the issue where port forwarding doesn’t work when the port range is set to 20-22.

Knowns:

Also there maybe a beta available for those users who need Option 60 and 61 for there ISP service thats missing in this version of FW, should make contact with NG support to acquire this beta FW. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-with-WiFi-6-AX-and/RAXE500-no-longer-get-attack-warnings/...

Download Link:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/raxe500.aspx#download

Manually update FW on the router if this isn't seen on the routers web page:

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

NOTE: Use a wired PC and web browser to update router FW. If continued problems are seen after a FW update, it's recommended to try a factory reset and setup from scratch with out loading any saved configurations from backup files.

https://kb.netgear.com/9665/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-NETGEAR-router

https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

NOTE: Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.

Cooling: Its recommended to install a USB laptop cooler under the router for 24/4 cooling. Helps keep the router cool and helps avoid heat damage to the electronics.

This article applies to:

Let us know how it works for you...

Message 1 of 15
Topology
Virtuoso

FYI:  The User Manual for the RAXE500 has not been updated - i.e., the current version remains at "February 2023," suggesting that no new features have been added to the router by firmware 1.2.13.100.

Message 2 of 15
Killhippie
Prodigy

Updated without a factory reset for the first time, normally I do but a factory I reset the old firmware a few weeks back, but its got to the point with all DHCP reservations etc it takes a good hour to get everything back in order. Also I use long passwords so that takes forever and it should work fine without a reset hopefully with bug fix updates which this is.

All working well so far, I've noticed a new style window in my browser GUI on Firefox for logs and I actually have a grey 3D image of a printer now not a icon.

Nothing about security mentioned in the notes which is odd, I'm going to assume there are patches, I did switch off took the power off for 2 minutes then restarted the router. If I get any glitches or problems I'll reset but as this is a bug fix and Netgear have no special notes on needing a reset for the update I hope all will carry on as it is.

Message 3 of 15
CRW10
Initiate

This firmware appears to have removed support for DHCP option 60 and 61 from the internet setup. This means I can no longer use the router with my ISP and have had to revert to V1.0.12.96_2.0.45 in order to connect.

Please can this be looked at and DHCP options be reinstated back into the firmware.

Anyone else who uses an ISP who relies on DHCP 61 (Sky in the UK) be warned this update will stop you from connecting to the internet.

Message 4 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you happen to try a factory reset and setup from scratch to see if DHCP option 60 and 61 from the internet setup or maybe placed in a different location with in the routers web ui pages? 

@CRW10 wrote:

This firmware appears to have removed support for DHCP option 60 and 61 from the internet setup. This means I can no longer use the router with my ISP and have had to revert to V1.0.12.96_2.0.45 in order to connect.

Please can this be looked at and DHCP options be reinstated back into the firmware.

Anyone else who uses an ISP who relies on DHCP 61 (Sky in the UK) be warned this update will stop you from connecting to the internet.

Message 5 of 15
CRW10
Initiate

Came home to find the router not able to connect to the internet after it had updated. I didn't try a full factory reset but did attempt to re-setup internet connection but upon selecting "Does your Internet connection require login?": No, there was/ is no option to choose/ enter DHCP option 61 settings like their is with firmware V1.0.12.96_2.0.45

CRW10_2-1703015084637.png

I couldn't find it anywhere else but happy to be corrected if it is somewhere else or if doing a factory reset does show the setting.

Message 6 of 15
hodoknaru
Initiate

A heads up/ caution for all of us who uses their RAXE500 with an ISP who requires DHCP choice 60 or 61. The state-of-the-art firmware 1.2.13.One hundred eliminates those options from internet setup that means you won't be able to connect. This stops the router from running with Sky net in the uk.

Message 7 of 15
Killhippie
Prodigy

Ive noticed on this version I'm not getting the usual DoS attacks and port scans, tried a factory reset and its still the same all I get is DHCP lease updates. I wasn't looking for option 61 at the time but maybe look under advanced-setup internet- choose internet doesn't require login use DHCP then at the bottom of the same page look to see if option 61 appears, this has worked for some users after recent updates, If not revert to the previous version. Netgear will need new firmware quickly in 2024, it seems, how can they break so many things is beyond me. <sigh>

Message 8 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Has been pasted to NG for review. 

User are encouraged to submit a support ticket as well to let NG know:

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx
https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx
Then clicking on "Get answers about NETGEAR products before I buy" then clicking on "Networking for Home" then "Chat with us".

Hopefully next FW update will have a fix. No idea if or when that will happen. 

Message 9 of 15
vinniemac
Luminary

I've reverted back to the previous release 1.0.12.96

Even after Factory Reset I am having trouble with the range and stability on the 6Ghz Band and intermittent drops on this band, even with an Excellent signal. It's most unstable.

I'd guess there was a WiFi Chipset Driver update in 1.2.13.100 to fix some of the issues and it has introduced some bugs.

I thought I'd just connect my 6Ghz Band devices to the 5Ghz stable Band and run with it but as I really never had any issues with 1.0.12.96 then I thought I'd just go back as it defeats the object of a WiFi 6E router if I cannot use the 6Ghz band stable. It could be another several months before we see any more updates for RAXE500.

It's a shame for those on DHCP Option 60 and 61. I know just how long it took to get those features implemented and I find it bizarre that they have be removed. Again I would suspect some Chipset Driver updates and the Options have been inadvertently removed.

If you don't really use 2.4Ghz band (Which had an issue in 1.0.12.96) then I see no reason not to stick (Roll back) to 1.0.12.96

It's a shame as 1.2.13.100 was the first update in almost 1 year, so naturally my hopes were high.

Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Put my RAXE500 online last nite. 

v1.2.13.100

23 feet distanced between RAXE and two Windows 11 PCs.

Both connected on 6Ghz

OFDMA, Beamforming, MU-MIMO and AX features all enabled.

Up To 4800Mpbs on both 5 and 6Ghz radios. Manual Channels set for 48 and 85. Other channels won't appear  set in the display. Only channels used in the set range are displayed.

Channel Config;

RAXE500WirelessConfig.png

AX210 wirless adapter PC:

AX210Win11_RAXE500_6Ghz.png

Speed reults:

AX210Win11_SpeedResults_RAXE500_6Ghz_Over900Mpbs.png

BE200 wireless adapter PC:

BE200Win11_RAXE500_6Ghz.png

Speed results:

BE200Win11_SpeedResults_RAXE500_6Ghz_Near900Mpbs.png.png

Near 4800Mpbs @160Mhzwith a ASUS-GTAX1100 wireless bridged mode connected to the RAXE500. All day long:

ASUSGTAX11000WirelessBridge5GhzToRAXE500Near4800Mpbs.png

I'll never saturate this but the pipe is there and good. 

Message 11 of 15
JazzerBazza
Initiate

My FTTP broadband with Sky suddenly stopped working on Friday. After two hours of messing about I eventually found it was due to the router doing an auto update, resulting in losing DHCP option 61. Luckily I’ve been able to roll back and get it working again.
I reached out to tech support to let them known and ask if option 60 and 61 will be included in future firmware updates but they couldn’t give me a definite answer.
This has me now questioning if I want to keep my RAXE500. It’s a bit of a dilemma because I actually like the performance of the router so far.
I want reassurance that it is future proof with the ability to receive software updates which don’t break it for me. However, I purchased it from Amazon in the Black Friday sale and I have until 31st Jan to return it. I’m considering the Asus GT-AXE11000.
In the mean time I’ve just sent another response to support asking if it’s possible to receive the beta update.
Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

We've passed this on to NG for review in a bug report. No idea IF or WHEN the fix will be put forth. 

I recommend that you check on the beta as mentioned others have asked about a beta and seemed to get users working again. 

Or use the RAXE500 with prior working version of FW. If it was working well on that version, then keep it. You don't have to update. If it works, don't fix it. 

Will keep an eye on this. 

Thanks. 

Message 13 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

NOTICE:

With recent issues, problems and experiences seen this version of FW, I recommend users avoid this version of FW and  revert FW on there routers back to previous version: v1.0.12.96

https://kb.netgear.com/000065500/RAXE500-Firmware-Version-1-0-12-96

I've asked NG to pull v.100 from public access as well. 

NG will need to review all the problems and get them fixed from this version.  Hopefully next version will be much better. 

Thank you.

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

FYI, got word that NG should be putting for the new FW with fixes for the DHCP option and VPN issues in near future. 

Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 12 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7