× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need Help

rujur6
Follower

Need Help

My work provides internet, but it's all self managed by the union. There isn't really a network guy. They have an ATT Modem, a Netgear RAX78, and another Netgear RAX78, in that order for wiring. The goal is to be able to use the first router as such, then the second one as an AP. They have 2 different WIFI names right now.

They are trying to use access control to mac filter the wifi, but they want the AP to be able to use the list from the router, instead of having to upload a list to both routers. Is this possible? When I have a look at the info from the AP, it seems to be acting as an AP for the modem, as it has that as the gateway and DNS server

Message 1 of 3

Re: Need Help

@rujur6 wrote:

The goal is to be able to use the first router as such, then the second one as an AP. They have 2 different WIFI names right now.

If the second router is in AP mode, then the main router manages the traffic.

What is the ATT modem?

Message 2 of 3
Kitsap
Master

Re: Need Help

When your second RAX78 is configured in access point mode, the MAC access control feature is disabled for that device.

With your main router and access point connection, the only device with MAC access control is your main router.

For reference:  https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

You will find your RAX78 listed in the This Article Applies To section.

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7