× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need nighthawk AX6000 to speed over 1gb with virgin media

Dean_
Tutor

Need nighthawk AX6000 to speed over 1gb with virgin media

Hello all, in the uk I have virgin hub 5 which gives me 1 gbps of internet. I have connected this to my pc with a upgraded network card of 2.5gbs
Network card says 2.5gbps
Now when I put the virgin modem into monitor mode and connect to my NETGEAR nighthawk AX6000 AX8 8 stream Wi-Fi router.
My pc network card is only saying 1gbs network card .
It seams I have a setting wrong on the nighthawk.

I have done a factory reset , and re set up my nighthawk,
Am I doing something wrong, is there a setting I have to change?
Because it says it can take up to 6gbs
When do a speed test on virgin we got over 1gbps, when with NETGEAR , it’s only 900gbps.

Would it be lan preference Multi-Gig Internet (1 Gbps + 1 Gbps) ?

Or port 4 and 5 for Ethernet port aggression?

Can you guys help please.
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Need nighthawk AX6000 to speed over 1gb with virgin media

What NG model do you have? RAX? AX6000 is a wifi speed. 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A is recommended

What is the brand and model# of the 2.5Gb ethernet adapter in the PC? 

Be sure the ethernet drivers for the adapter are up to date. 

If your ISP modem only supports 1Gb then you'll not see or use 2.5Gb between the modem and router. 

However the connection rate between the ethernet adapter in the PC and the router should be at 2.5Gb if your using the multi gig port on this router and it's set for LAN connections. Not WAN. 

Message 2 of 5
Dean_
Tutor

RAX80
Firmware V1.0.10.140_1.0.79
Virgin media hub 5
HUB 5 / Model: F3896LG-VMB
Ugreen cat 8 Ethernet cable

2.5GBase-T PCIe Network Adapter...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08V1HG47H?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

f your ISP modem only supports 1Gb then you'll not see or use 2.5Gb between the modem and router. 

When isp modem connected to pc, we did see 2.5gb on network card, isp on Speedtest went too 1056mbps.

Internet Setup
WAN Preference
* Internet Port (1Gbps)
* Multi-Gig Internet (1 Gbps + 1 Gbps

Wan preference is internet port 1 Gbps
I tried multi gig and got error message:

Error: Unable to establish WAN aggregation.

Also isp modem is on port 4 ( 2.5gbps port ) to nighthawk, then port 1 nighthawk to pc 2.5gbps network card.

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok so the ISP modem has count them with me 1, just 1x 2.5Gb WAN ethernet port. All other ports are 1Gb ports. 

The RAX80 has all 1Gb ethernet ports. However the WAN port and the next door port can be LAG configured to get a combined 2Gb connection speed if you have a ISP modem that can also LAG it's WAN and another port next to it for LAG support with a router like the RAX80. 

The RAX80 does NOT have a 2.5Gb WAN or LAN ports. There ALL 1Gb. So the most you'll ever see between the RAX router and your ethernet adapter is 1Gb connection rate. 

There is LAG support on the LAN side with two of the LAN side by side ports however you need another adapter to connect and have them support LAG on the LAN side. You would see a combined connection of 2Gb only. 

Message 4 of 5
Dean_
Tutor

Yes correct, the isp modem has 5 ports and one of them is 2,5gbps
Then on the nighthawk, all ports are 1 gbps

Is there a newer, maybe better router from Netgear than what I have , that ports are above 1gbps ( 2.5gbps)
So I can upgrade

Also Thankyou for your help
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7