× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Nighthawk RAX50 - Wifi 5ghz dropping internet connection. 2.4Ghz connection is fine.

Netgear Nighthawk RAX50 - Wifi 5ghz dropping internet connection. 2.4Ghz connection is fine.

Hello.

My RAX50 has suddenly started dropping the internet connection on the 5Ghz Wifi. I have checked the configuration, changed the passwords and it doesn't help. The 2.4Ghz remains stable. 

I have performed a reset and updated the firmware to V1.0.15.128_2.0.89.

Any suggestions about what might be causing this?

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear Nighthawk RAX50 - Wifi 5ghz dropping internet connection. 2.4Ghz connection is fine.

I know you don't think you're using dfs channels, but there's a decent chance you are. 

the RAX50 supports 160hz wide channels. so if you have the speed for the 5ghz set to "up to 4800mbps", its using dfs channels. Try setting your speed down to "up to 2400mbps" speeds. It still lets you use the full 4x4 antenna but narrows the 5ghz overlap to just 80hz and keeps you out of the DFS channels. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies

Re: Netgear Nighthawk RAX50 - Wifi 5ghz dropping internet connection. 2.4Ghz connection is fine.

@Ramiseesniblic wrote:

My RAX50 has suddenly started dropping the internet connection on the 5Ghz Wifi.

What actually happens? WiFi LED goes off? Client can't connect?

How is your WiFi configured?

By default these devices use a single SSID for 2.4 and 5 GHz.

Message 2 of 7

What happens is that any device connected to the 5Ghz network looses internet for a small period of time, then it comes back again. The 2.4Ghz WIFI is not effected. This is a real issue as it interrupts my work.

I purchased the router July 2022 and my technical support warranty has expired.  It might be a hardware issue but I cannot raise a support ticket to get this confirmed.

Message 3 of 7

@Ramiseesniblic wrote:

What happens is that any device connected to the 5Ghz network looses internet for a small period of time, then it comes back again. The 2.4Ghz WIFI is not effected. This is a real issue as it interrupts my work.

2.4 GHz is slower than 5 GHz, but has a longer range. So runs a higher risk of getting lost.

Do the LEDs show anything?

If there is one it might also help if you told people the make and model number of the modem/gateway/ONT that sits between this router and the Internet. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

I ask because a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

What channels the 5ghz connected to? 

Curious as if you're using a DFS channel you can get that when it switches off the dfs frequencies. 

Message 5 of 7

I'm on Channel 36.  Not using the DSF channels as there is an airport not too far away from me and I don't want to contest with any radar that they are broadcasting 🙂

In fact, I looked at the router (Virgin Media) logs and I was seeing alot of SYNC Disconnect issues which suggested an issue with the wider ISP network.  I called them and indeed they are having issues.  24 / 48 hours they said..  

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

I know you don't think you're using dfs channels, but there's a decent chance you are. 

the RAX50 supports 160hz wide channels. so if you have the speed for the 5ghz set to "up to 4800mbps", its using dfs channels. Try setting your speed down to "up to 2400mbps" speeds. It still lets you use the full 4x4 antenna but narrows the 5ghz overlap to just 80hz and keeps you out of the DFS channels. 

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7