× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Nighthawk mk 62 Airplay issues

Yann91
Tutor

Netgear Nighthawk mk 62 Airplay issues

Hi all

I got the netgear nighthawk mk62 mesh system. (Router and one satellite)
Both running firmware version V1.0.6.110.
I remarked an issue with airplay trying several devices (Homepod, Homepod mini, Sonos one, B&O m3) during streaming sound. Error message says that it is no possible to play sound by airplay.
This only happens, if the sound box and the device (where I try to stream music from) both are connected to the satellite. So I tried following setups:
- phone/tablet (music from) + airplay sound box (music to) both connected to router —> works without issues
- phone/tablet (music from) connected to router + airplay sound box (music to) connected to satellite —> works without issues
- phone/tablet (music from) connected to satellite + airplay sound box (music to) connected to router —> works without issues
- phone/tablet (music from) + airplay sound box (music to) both connected to satellite —> not working
- phone/tablet (music from) connected to router + airplay sound box (music to) connected to satellite and I move with the phone to the other room so that the phone change automatically connection to satellite —> music stop playing

I resetted the whole setup several times without any success for that issue. Is there someone who has the same issue or even could find a solution for that?
Is there a possibility to define that the sound box is only allowed to connect to router and not to satellite? Cause currently the sound box always connect to the next device (in this case satellite, cause it is placed a meter next to it). It is kind of not that what a mesh should be then, but I see no other solution for that.

Thanks in advance and please let me know if I can gibe some more information.

Greetings
Yannick
Message 1 of 3
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Yannick,

You may try adjusting the 2.4GHz channel to see if that helps. If your issue persists, I would recommend reaching out to Apple for further feedback.

Christian 

Message 2 of 3
Yann91
Tutor

Hi Christian

Thanks for your feedback. I tried to change the channels of 2.4 and as well for 5 Ghz without any success for that issues.

I tried the 5 Ghz as well cause the homepods are connected to 5Ghz.

I guess Apple cannot help in that situation cause it seems not to be an airplay issue itself, cause connecting from router to router device, router to satellite device and satellite to router device is working without any issues. Only conneting from satellite to satellite device is not working.
I had a similar setup with TP link mesh and had no problem with airplay even if I played sound from satellite to satellite device, but I changed to netgear for better speed and less interruptions.
How does the communication work between satellite and satellite devices? Are they going first from satellite to router and from router back to satellite, or is the communication directly over the satellite?
Is there a possibility to get an option in the app or at routerlogin where I can restrict the connections? So then I would allow the homepod only to connect to the router and not to satellite. That would fix it in that case.

Thanks in advance and greetings
Yannick
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7