× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear RAX20 L2TP speed problem

ax74
Aspirant

Netgear RAX20 L2TP speed problem

Hello there,

I really want to ask for an advise from more experienced users than myself abot L2TP internet speed.

So I bought NetGear AX1800 RAX20 router (latest firmware already installed) and it seemed to work fine by delivering 100mb/s stable connection.

However after I bought new xbox console I noticed that I am always getting disconnected from online gaming even though everything is connected directly by internet wires.

After discussing this issue with my ISP I've been told that I need a vpn connection using L2TP which they can provide me with.

After entering all the credentials in my router I got VPN L2TP connection and my console started to work just fine.

However I didnt check my internet speed at that same moment. Lately I've noticed my internet speed is limited to 60mb/s while using VPN which is almost 50% less the amount I am paying for. If I turn L2TP option off - my speed comes to normal 100mb/s.

As a solution my ISP offered me to try their own router (Mikrotik hap-lite 7442a-94125ND) which is significantly smaller and, on paper, less powerful. BUT using this router with L2TP my connection is basically 100mb/s. ISP explained to me that my routers CPU is not powerful enought to encrypt all the data so it limits the bandwidth. Another solution would be to turn L2TP encryption off, but I did not find this option in my router setting. Mikrotik router seems to handle this without any problem for some reason and I get 100mb/s stable connection.

So the main question: is my NetGear router so bad (even though it costs 3 times as much) that it can not deliver 100mb/s bandwidth with L2TP connection or am I missing something?

I would like to keep my NetGear router because it has so many features and controlling it with an app sometimes is really usefull, but this 60mb/s limitation really forces me to take Mikrotik router instead.

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Netgear RAX20 L2TP speed problem

Might have to go with there equipment for better performances. The RAX20 is mostly a entry level router. L2TP is not a commonly used protocol and may not have good performances. Something you do is use there router and configure the RAX20 into AP mode for it's wireless abilities. 

https://kb.netgear.com/20927/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-to-AP-mode

Message 2 of 6
ax74
Aspirant

You suggest using a router as an access point - there are just access points for this, why do I need extra equipment? L2TP routers that have been working for 10-15 years, my old Netgear wndr3700 works fine with l2tp at a speed of 100 megabits. This is not a solution to the problem. I would like to draw the manufacturer's attention to this problem.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to contact NG support to let them know then:

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx
https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx
Then clicking on "Get answers about NETGEAR products before I buy" then clicking on "Networking for Home" then "Chat with us".

Good Luck.

Message 4 of 6
ax74
Aspirant

L2TP is declared in rax20 and there are no technical limitations for the implementation of the correct operation of this protocol. This condition is very upsetting. This is a modern router that for some reason does not cope with the function that was available to routers 10-15 years ago. Sincerely, AX

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to contact NG about. 

Good Luck. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation