× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear nighthawk rax41 ax3600 router

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Netgear nighthawk rax41 ax3600 router

Starlink is my internet provider.i put starlink in bypass mode setup the nighthawk router and I have a wired connection to my xbox series x console.I went into nighthawk router setting did auto configuration for ipv6 and tested the NAT on xbox it gave me a double nat at first now it says open but xbox is slow now running these test and if I'm not mistaken the latency has went higher.I guess what I'm asking could anyone help me out with setting up my nighthawk with proper setting to game.....TIA
Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Netgear nighthawk rax41 ax3600 router

If you have the ISP modem in bypass or DMZ there for the RAX router, and xbox is getting OPEN NAT, then this is the best you can get. You should be able to get OPEN NAT with or with out IPv6. 

Recommend using a ethernet connection to xbox for best performances in gaming. 

Try connecting the xbox to the ISP router to compare results. 

Message 2 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Now xbox says ipv4 and ipv6 open nat and I haven't been kicked outta race on forza like I was before replacing starlink router.I just want to make sure all was good on my end because I have never had to deal with any of this before.Should I disable the ipv6 auto setting or leave it be.
Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Leave it be. 

Something to ask the ISP about to see if you can remove there router and put the RAX in place of it. They will have this information. 

Message 4 of 14
plemans
Guru

I would test it both ways. The starlink routers are supposed to be pretty solid. 

I'd test it 3 ways.

1. star link router in passthrough to netgear router. Xbox connected to netgear

2. Starlink router in router mode with netgear in access point mode. xbox connected to netgear

3. starlink in router mode. xbox direct connected to it. 

You will see some additional latency going starlink---netgear----xbox just because you added another step on the process but it'd be worth seeing what each setting change adds to the process. 

Message 5 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

RAX41 ax5 ax3600

I bought this router and was wanting to know best way to set it up for gaming on ps5 and xbox series x cause I have been having lag and just want to know best settings and how to do it.TIA
Message 6 of 14

Re: RAX41 ax5 ax3600

@Retired_Member wrote:
I bought this router and was wanting to know best way to set it up for gaming on ps5 and xbox series x cause I have been having lag and just want to know best settings and how to do it.

Before anyone can tell yo how to do it, you need to work out why the lag happens. To get there, you need to provide more details.

Start with the usual boilerplate questions to eliminate some of the more common issues that crop up here.

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". There may be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware with an app or in the browser interface.

If there is one it might also help if you told people the make and model number of the modem/gateway/ONT that connects this router to the Internet. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

I ask because a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Having two routers on a network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems.

This explains some of the drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Apologies for all the questions. But you can help people to help you by providing the information suggested in this forum's header:

Subject (Include model number and brief summary)
Model (Recommended - Helps the community give the best answers)
Body (Include additional detail including model version, firmware, OS and environment where relevant.)

They are there for a good reason.

Message 7 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Well I figured it was lag cause I never see it but when I was racing the guy in front of me just ran off road then a min later I got kicked from race...maybe guy was just a you know what but I show good signal 40 to 54 ping according to gt7 parameters graph.
Message 8 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I'm new to this site so forgive me if I write something wrong or in the wrong place.It also happens to me on my xbox series x and I have ipv4 and ipv6 open nat.
Message 9 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Starlink is my ISP and I bought the rax41 ax5 ax3600 nighthawk which was easy to get hooked up was just asking if any setting under the advanced tab would help or maybe needed to be turned on I have ipv6 turned on was thinking may do a static ip or put router in ap mode...idk
Message 10 of 14

@Retired_Member wrote:
Starlink is my ISP

And you connect to it with what?

Starlink isn't the easiest network to set up:

Search - NETGEAR Communities – starlink

Message 11 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Netgear nighthawk ax5 ax3600 router
Message 12 of 14

@Retired_Member wrote:
Netgear nighthawk ax5 ax3600 router

I think we knew all that already. The question is how is the RAX41, its proper model number, connected to your Starlink service?

Message 13 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Netgear nighthawk ax5 ax3600 firmware v 1.0.16.132....using starlinks gen 2 router that came with kit all of equipment is updated to latest software.i bought the ethernet adapter from starlink and bought netgear router and have had it hooked up couple months now but I been disconnected from server play racing games like gt7 and forza.xbox had a double not that came up so I enabled ipv6 setting on netgear router and it went away and now it has ipv4 and ipv6 open nat but I still get disconnected from server and the starlink router is in bypass mode back to xbox it now has 100%packet loss and sometimes it goes to 2% which is way better so I was just wondering if there is any settings on the rax41 netgear nighthawk that could make gaming experience any better or what else could be done.I say lag is I believe I'm wrecking into people but I'm not seeing any lag on my side but people driving in front of me will go off track then I get kicked could that be possible that I am having lag and not seeing it.Two different consoles but seems to be same problem when racing.Hope this helps better understand the issue....Thanks for helping out
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7