× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Network cuts out 3x per day (Nighthawk AX12 AX6000)

Matco
Aspirant

Network cuts out 3x per day (Nighthawk AX12 AX6000)

I purchased this router about a month ago as an upgrade and it performs much worse than my previous nighthawk C7000, which rarely had any issues. The new router intermittently loses network (both wired and wifi) about 3x per day. Firmware: V1.2.3.28. I paid $48 for a reset device that sequentially reboots the modem, then the router ever night hoping that would remediate the issue but I’ve seen no improvement. During these “cut-outs” I’ve verified that my modem is maintaining a signal. I’ve contacted my ISP to make sure it’s not due to network disruptions. At this point I’m not sure what to do. It’s very disappointing to spend this much money on an inferior router to my previous, cheaper router. Any insights, recommendations appreciated.
Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

what firmware is on the router? 

What actual router is it? AX6000 is a speed, not a model

what modem/gateway do you have? 

If its cutting out 3x per day, I'm not really a trusting person of ISP phone support people. I'd hardwire a pc/laptop into the modem for a day and see if it stays stable. When both wifi and wired are dropping, its always good to check yourself as the ISP's default response is always "its not our lines"

Message 2 of 7
Matco
Aspirant

The firmware and model are both listed in my original post. Model: RAX120 firmware: V1.2.3.28. If this were related to my ISP, the issue would presumably occur with my previous router as well. It’s safe to rule ISP out of the equation.
Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

@Matco wrote:
. It’s safe to rule ISP out of the equation.

If its safe to rule out the isp then exchange the router. or start an rma with netgear. 

but anytime you change out a modem or router, things like coax can get kinked/damaged, connectors come loose, or have a sketchy modem.

So, no its not "safe to rule out the isp" unless you've actually ruled it out yourself. 

Message 4 of 7
Matco
Aspirant

I can confirm that swapping the routers didn’t kink the coaxial or the network cable connecting the modem to the router. Note: all of the network cables are high quality. I have monitored the network-drops from wired devices, which have the same issue. I have gone 3 years with no issues, then this issue starts the day I get the new router. I’m not sure how the ISP can be considered the culprit given that information.
Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

Fine, if you're not willing to even start at step 1, you can work on it yourself or through support. 

this is the community support forum where members of the public help out. We're not paid. We're not support. 

I'm more than willing to help someone who wants the help and appreciates it. 

Good luck. 

To get a hold of support. Click on "MyNetgear" at the top.
Register an account (or login) and then the device.
From there you can start the support process. Keep in mind that its only free for the first 90 days.

Message 6 of 7
BobTheAlien
Initiate

Just a quick heads up, but it looks like the RAX120 routers are having similar reboot issues on the forums. I am one person who seems to get cut off during video calls during the work day.

Just wanted to add this that it may not only be isolated to the RAX200 routers, but the RAX120 as well. This might be more of a sign of a firmware issue.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7