× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New Firmware Released RAX40 1.0.3.80 with WPA3

christer12
Star

New Firmware Released RAX40 1.0.3.80 with WPA3

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 28

Accepted Solutions
tsui
Tutor

New Features and Enhancements:
Supports Smart Connect.
Supports WPA3.
Supports better device identification in the attached device list.
Enhances the boot up time.
Bug Fixes:
Fixes the WiFi driver crash issue

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 28

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The only thing I noticed immediately was the device icons and editing device names on the configuration. I was wondering the same, what is new in this new FW!

Message 2 of 28
tsui
Tutor

New Features and Enhancements:
Supports Smart Connect.
Supports WPA3.
Supports better device identification in the attached device list.
Enhances the boot up time.
Bug Fixes:
Fixes the WiFi driver crash issue
Message 3 of 28

I upgraded the firmware and the router crashes daliy now.. 1.0.3.80   It lookslike an issue with IOS  - WLAN access rejected: incorrect security.  But not sure... The new features are great but not worth the daily crash.  Very disappointed working from home.  I tried rolling back  the FW and restoring my settings but that did work.   I guess I will roll it back and restore factory settings and allow it to populate the access list..    Anyone else having issues with the new FW and it blocking / crashing?

Message 4 of 28
christer12
Star

Yes have noticed it is unstabel and disconnect a lot, but have never crashing. Have been factory reset.

My PC with wifi AX work fine, but not my phone with wifi AC. Phone (Galaxy S8+) disconnet all the time, it didnt happend before.

My TV (Samsung Q90R) also disconnect all the time, it is on LAN. Gets notified that my internet connection is unstable

Message 5 of 28
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I am using Smart Connect and WPA2+WPA3 and it has been very stable since the release of the FW. The problem is FW rendered EAX20 extender unusable. 

If you are using WPA3 only, switch back to WPA2 and give it a try.

Message 6 of 28
christer12
Star

Yes, I use Smart Connect and WPA2+WPA3, my galaxy S8+ don't support WPA3. Just a few new devices support WPA3. I belive I just need to be patient with RAX40. I know what I signet up for. Wifi 6 isn't quite finished

Message 7 of 28
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I jinxed myself, we had some dropped multiplayer connections on Nintendo Switch tonight. I feel like this router needs to be rebooted every so often.

Message 8 of 28

Update if it matters..  I thought I would give the latest FW another try... I reset the 1.0.3.80 to factory reset.   Then add all the devices back into security.  That was this last night.  It blocked  a few wireless deviced during the day and then it blocked everything on my network just after midnight casuing me to reset the router to factory again..   I then gave up and rolled the fw back to V1.0.2.60_1.0.1    My hope is the the router is dieing and I will be able to take it back to bestbuy and swap it out,  It has been a great router since I got it 

Message 9 of 28
OnyxNova
Tutor

It's really nice to see that the firmware is still broken and Netgear hasn't done a damn thing about it. Not even basic communication or a damn release note. This has defintely soured me on Netgear and their products, not that they care or like it will make any difference.

Message 10 of 28
ZacharyZSun
Guide

My wifi just stop broadcasting the signal after a few hours, it happened twice today. The lights are both on for 2.4g and 5g but I can't find the wifi on any of my devices
Message 11 of 28

If you can get into your routers GUI.  You may find that you devices are being blocked.   Mine started with a couple then eventually all were blocked that were on the network.  Had to keep trying new devices until I could get in to unblock. I eventuly gave up did a factory reset.  I then rolled back to my old FW .   Has not crashed since..!   Hopfully Netgear is aware of the issue and is doing somthing about it..

Message 12 of 28
ZacharyZSun
Guide

It might be! But the older version of 1.0.3 also has a lot of issues. I don’t have access to 1.0.2 firmware. Don’t know where to find it.
Message 13 of 28
ronald_fr
Luminary

Hello,

my RAX40 has been upgraded to 1.0.3.80 on 12th.

ISSUES :

• Wifi have lost inthernet access after 8 hours >>> power off on
  • "Attached Devices" is not reliable as some devices are not there (wired or any WiFi on 2.4 or 5 GHz) or all devices from a WiFi chan

to be continued

Ron

Message 14 of 28
jrjdotmac
Initiate

I have the same issues as everyone else.  Random connection drops across all devices, I donwgraded the firmware back to v1.0.3.64_1.0.1 

Message 15 of 28
The_David
Initiate

Same problem as others are reporting. The router completely crashes every couple days. No wifi, no wired, no access at all. Reboot and it comes back again for another couple days. The router had some minor quirks before, but this is bad especially with most of being forced to work from home.

I certainly hope Netgear is making this a very high priority to fix.

Message 16 of 28
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Folks, can everyone list their problems with the new RAX40 firmware under this thread?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/RAX40-Firmware-1-0-3-80-Crash-Bug-...

Message 17 of 28
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Nighthawk AX Community, 

For those experiencing issues with the latest firmware version on the RAX40, may you confirm if you've taken a moment to revert to the previous firmware version to see if the issue persists. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 18 of 28
jrjdotmac
Initiate

I reverted to the prior version and the intermittent disconnects are gone.  Everything is fine with the prior version.

Message 19 of 28
The_David
Initiate

I downgraded back to .64 from the support site. It's only been a couple days, but so far all the problems are gone.

Message 20 of 28
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I reverted back to 64 and my EAX20 extender was able to connect to the RAX40 router. Other than my extender not connecting to the router therefore not extending the wifi with the new firmware , I dont have any significant issues.
Message 21 of 28
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @jrdotmac, @The_David, & @Retired_Member,

Thank you all for confirming! I'll have the feedback forwarded to the product teams. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 22 of 28
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Christian_R could you please visit and/or forward the comments from this below thread to the product teams please?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/RAX40-Firmware-1-0-3-80-Crash-Bug-...

Message 23 of 28
Maxgur
Guide

The firmware is not finalized. WIFI connection is interrupted periodically with devices (Smart Connect mode) Problem with connecting Samsung S20 phone. Communication with devices via WIFI may disappear and then the device cannot connect to the router. Only rebooting the router helps, but this is not normal for such a company.
Most likely the firmware is very raw and will fix all problems soon.

Message 24 of 28
Bshearan
Aspirant

How can you revert to the previous version?
Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 36 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7