× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RAX80 Firmware Version 1.0.6.138 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

New - RAX80 Firmware Version 1.0.6.138 Released

New Enhancements:

• Removed Funjsq, for PR SKU

Security Issues:

• Fixes security vulnerability issues.

For more information about security vulnerabilities, visit https://www.netgear.com/about/security

Firmware Update Instructions:

Download Link:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RAX80.aspx#download

To update your router’s firmware, follow the instructions in your router’s user manual. To view your router’s user manual, visit https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RAX80.aspx#docs

NOTE: Nighthawk app or the routers web page may not report seeing new FW updates. NG may not push this to there auto update services immediately and may activate the newer FW update being seen on there auto update services at a later time. User will have the choice to manually update if you want too.

Manually update FW on the router if this isn't seen on the routers web page:

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

NOTE: Use a wired PC and web browser to update router FW. If continued problems are seen after a FW update, it's recommended to try a factory reset and setup from scratch with out loading any saved configurations from backup files.

https://kb.netgear.com/9665/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-NETGEAR-router

A factory reset maybe needed if problems are encountered:

https://kb.netgear.com/9665/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-NETGEAR-router

This article applies to:

Let us know how it works for you...Please leave feedback.

Message 3 of 33

Accepted Solutions
Ivan813
Star

Re: RAX80 Firmware Version 1.0.6.138

Ok 5-23 I decided to have another go at 6.138 and this are my findings in my case:

did the upgrade and then factory reset, after that turn of and unplugged the router and modem and turn off PC 

turn on following the procedure posted before and everything seem to be working fine until I activated the DDNS service and the VPN service, that's when it went back to could connect but no internet. I usually configured the VPN to access local network only but for some reason it blocks the whole router internet connectivity, configured to allow local network and internet and voila everything is working fine. another thin worth noting is that under Advanced- Security- schedule for some reason everything is selected to block connection for everyday 24hours I unchecked all of them and so far everything is working flawless 

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 33

All Replies
mcoop1988
Aspirant

Firmware update RAX80 Firmware Version 1.0.6.138 (Reduced Download speeds)

Since updating my router's firmware to RAX80 Firmware Version 1.0.6.138. My download speed has dropped from 300 to 400mbs to 20mbs via Wifi. Download and Upload speeds coming from the modem are where they're supposed to be at.

I use the Wifi on a iMac but the issue arrives when I use bootcamp to run Windows because gaming is a hobby of mine. Prior to the update, the Download speed was fine.

I reverted back to the previous firmware and the issue resolved itself but, I am curious and would love to update the firmware if I can get around the issue of download speed tanking after updating.

I would love some help or any ideas because I prefer to have the updated security from the firmware.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Firmware update RAX80 Firmware Version 1.0.6.138 (Reduced Download speeds)

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Did you perform a factory reset and setup from scratch after loading v.138? 

Message 2 of 33
johnwho
Star

I would strongly advise against accepting this update. If you let the router auto update you will effectively loose connectivity as the DNS will stop working. The DNS issue can be fixed by setting to factory defaults before the update, and reconfiguring the router after the update.

This does not however fix the the other issue with the Readyshare function. If you use the USB ports to share files over the network, the new firmware will not work if ANY security is set, the only way Readshare will function is removing all passwords from the share which is not good.

In conclusion if you have been unfortunate and the update has automatically installed, I suggest download the previous version and disable auto update.

Luckily a set to factory gives you a enough function to download the previous version, when you have reconfigured the WAN PPoE settings.

Hopefully the next release will be tested before release, as loosing a couple of hours to recover a stable network is not the best. Even more so as no network also takes out the house phone.

Message 4 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Firmware update RAX80 Firmware Version 1.0.6.138 (Reduced Download speeds)

Any progress on this? 

@mcoop1988 wrote:

Since updating my router's firmware to RAX80 Firmware Version 1.0.6.138. My download speed has dropped from 300 to 400mbs to 20mbs via Wifi. Download and Upload speeds coming from the modem are where they're supposed to be at.

I use the Wifi on a iMac but the issue arrives when I use bootcamp to run Windows because gaming is a hobby of mine. Prior to the update, the Download speed was fine.

I reverted back to the previous firmware and the issue resolved itself but, I am curious and would love to update the firmware if I can get around the issue of download speed tanking after updating.

I would love some help or any ideas because I prefer to have the updated security from the firmware.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 33
jbarnes2112
Tutor

RAX80 Firmware Version 1.0.6.138

Applied the update today May 16, lost all internet connectivity. Since there's so much out there, I have to ask, how is this firmware still available to download? Wasted hours on this. Had to downgrade to v1.0.5*. Connection still not stable. Probably need to factory reset on top of everything else. Shame on you Netgear, shame.
Message 6 of 33
Ivan813
Star

I updated my router May 13 to the new 6.138 but as soon as the update was done I lost all internet connectivity, devices could connect and talk to each other but not go to the internet, did a factory reset and it fixed the problem, today may 17 we lost power briefly and after starting again it went back to no internet connectivity did another factory reset and still the same is a pain having to configure everything again and again I  end up reverting to 5.132 

Message 7 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, thanks for letting us know. 

@Ivan813 wrote:

I updated my router May 13 to the new 6.138 but as soon as the update was done I lost all internet connectivity, devices could connect and talk to each other but not go to the internet, did a factory reset and it fixed the problem, today may 17 we lost power briefly and after starting again it went back to no internet connectivity did another factory reset and still the same is a pain having to configure everything again and again I  end up reverting to 5.132 

Message 8 of 33
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

you may need to factory reset after upgrading to the latest firmware.

DarrenM

Message 9 of 33
geog
Tutor

I updated the firmware of RAX80 router to v1.06.138 and the router failed to access the internet.  I reinstall firmware v1.0.5.132 and the problem is solved.

Grateful if Netgear can note and solve the issue.

Regards,

Message 10 of 33
plemans
Guru

1. after the upgrade and issue, did you try a factory reset? if there's issues after an update, that's one of the first recommended steps. 

2. what modem/gateway is it connected to? 

3. do you have ipv6 enabled? 

Message 11 of 33
johnwho
Star

Yes a factory reset will allow you to get a working network back, but not any USB shares with passwords enabled.
Message 12 of 33
Ron_K2
Initiate

Same here auto update from 1.0.5.132 to 1.0.6.138 resulted in multiple issues with no name resolving. I did not notice it right away as my 2nd pc has a fixed ip number and dns setting. I have disable auto-update now.

Message 13 of 33
Ivan813
Star

1. yes I did 2 Factory resets and still no internet connectivity, my devices said connected without internet  

2. I'm connected to the spectrum Modem I think is Technicolor ET2251

3. yes I have ipv6 enabled

Hope this help troubleshoot the issue 

Message 14 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

@Ivan813 wrote:

1. yes I did 2 Factory resets and still no internet connectivity, my devices said connected without internet  

2. I'm connected to the spectrum Modem I think is Technicolor ET2251

3. yes I have ipv6 enabled

Hope this help troubleshoot the issue 

Message 15 of 33
Ivan813
Star

Ok 5-23 I decided to have another go at 6.138 and this are my findings in my case:

did the upgrade and then factory reset, after that turn of and unplugged the router and modem and turn off PC 

turn on following the procedure posted before and everything seem to be working fine until I activated the DDNS service and the VPN service, that's when it went back to could connect but no internet. I usually configured the VPN to access local network only but for some reason it blocks the whole router internet connectivity, configured to allow local network and internet and voila everything is working fine. another thin worth noting is that under Advanced- Security- schedule for some reason everything is selected to block connection for everyday 24hours I unchecked all of them and so far everything is working flawless 

Message 16 of 33
FuGear
Aspirant

I encountered a similar issue while trying to upgrade the firmware of my RAX80.

Any of the following upgrade method failed:

- app

- chk upload from browser

- browser auto update

and lead to a loss of WAN.

I had to downgrade to retrieve a working configuration.

I am used to have a VPN access, WIFI signal programs and I'm not using IPv6. I have manually listed DNS servers. If it can help, I have noticed that my wired devices were still working in 1.0.6.138, and also some wifi devices but, at least not any wifi 6 (ax) devices (DHCP connections). On these wifi 6 devices, the connection to the router is ok but I can't have any WAN connection.

It is very annoying to upgrade and meet this kind of problem. I hope netgear teams will fix this.

Message 17 of 33
jbarnes2112
Tutor

I was checking to see if new firmware for the RAX80 was released since v1.0.6.138 to fix the insane issue that caused me and so many others hours of headaches last month. To my surprise there is nothing new, no mention of the issue, and it seems I can still download this firmware today. This is a serious and major issue! I tried to contact support to be sure this was reported, and maybe let Netgear know this trash needs to be pulled. But I guess after three months of using my modem, the community is the only option that exists. If there is anyone from Netgear that actually reviews these messages, please respond with details on the issue and when a new corrected firmware will be available.

Message 18 of 33
FuGear
Aspirant

Same observation there. I think I have tested everything: upgrade, hard reset, IPv6 or not, manual/automated DNS... dozens of reboot... I have wasted a lots of my time to finally come to this conclusion: I can't use this firmware release. Hopefully we can downgrade but yes, if someone in Netgear can fix this, please 🙏, help 

Message 19 of 33
tommyLv
Aspirant

It turns out that we all have a big problem.
This version of the firmware is a disaster, as soon as I power the router off and on again
I can't connect to the network...

Message 20 of 33
helixmoon
Aspirant

I installed the new FW without any major issues. I did lose connectivity via wireless but I went and clicked on it and chose Forget Network and then reconnected back and works great. This is with running VPN as well.  I had no issues with wired connections. I didn't do any resets or power cycles and let the router reboot and logged back in to check the settings.

As for the USB security, if you're running DLNA, is tells you that a password cannot be enabled on at least one of the READ or WRITE options.  I created a password for the WRITE option. 

The only concern I have is now the fan is constantly running but I can actually say that this router is running cooler than it ever has been. Perhaps that's why my speed has also slightly increased and I have a gig plan with my ISP.

Message 21 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

@helixmoon wrote:

I installed the new FW without any major issues. I did lose connectivity via wireless but I went and clicked on it and chose Forget Network and then reconnected back and works great. This is with running VPN as well.  I had no issues with wired connections. I didn't do any resets or power cycles and let the router reboot and logged back in to check the settings.

As for the USB security, if you're running DLNA, is tells you that a password cannot be enabled on at least one of the READ or WRITE options.  I created a password for the WRITE option. 

The only concern I have is now the fan is constantly running but I can actually say that this router is running cooler than it ever has been. Perhaps that's why my speed has also slightly increased and I have a gig plan with my ISP.

Message 22 of 33
johnwho
Star

Having tried this a few weeks back, and lost my internet connection I rolled back as I needed to work from home.

Today I updated to V1.0.6.138_1.0.76, then a factory reset and power cycle, before setting everything back up. I did have an issue with DNS not working so all the connected devices show "connected no internet" This was after enable DNS & VPN setting the VPN to "All sites on the internet and home network" still no DNS.

Power cycle the router and run ipconfig /flushdns all seems good now. It's only been an hour lets see what happens.

Message 23 of 33
johnwho
Star

Spoke too soon, power cycle and no DNS again. The moment I disabled VPN the network came back to life.

So down grading to the previous version and looking for 3rd party firmware or a new router, which is a pity having been a netgear user for decades. 

Message 24 of 33
johnwho
Star

Following @Ivan813 note about VPN being related to the DNS issue, toggling the VPN off on recovers the network until a router power cycle, the only way this software is usable is to disable VPN.

I will run without the VPN and see if the network stays up, as we have VoIP phones no network = no phone.

Please Netgear fix this firmware, its not a cheap router, it's a pity it's crippled by bad firmware.

Message 25 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7