× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Night Hawk A6000

night_hawk101
Aspirant

Night Hawk A6000

I am trying to start up a smart home setup. I have the RAX120 do I need a Mesh Router to use as a hub? I'm trying to figure out if its compatible and /or even needed. I do have many items hooked wirelessly to the main router RAX120. I recently gave CoxSecurity unit back and it had a NetGear N300 wifi router WNR2000v5 plugged into my router as a dedicated camera hub. Because of this I believe I may need a mesh router add on to control my next new camera surviellance system and its componets. 

Because I have a Samsung TV with alexa and Smart Things intragrated into it I essentially want to see the cameras from the TV and so I been researching Smart Things equipment and so on. But I'm suspecting I need a mesh router as a home hub. If so what would be a good choice to match to my Night Hawk AX12 RAX120?

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Night Hawk A6000

The RAX120 is very capable. 

The only reason from switching from the RAX to a mesh unit would be if you needing more range/coverage. The RAX120 is the flagship dual band AX device. 

What makes you think you need to switch to a mesh device?

Message 2 of 5
night_hawk101
Aspirant

The reason I ak is because Cox Cable installers added a Netgear WNR2000v5 to the router. It was simply controlling the Coc Icamera2 cameras and nothing else. It seemed to me it was being used as a hub to the system they provided. Maybe it was to control access to the internet once canceling? 

So, I'm trying to figure my next step if you believe that running lets say 8 cameras though the flag ship continually isn't going to impede its performance. I was thinking that with all the smart home attachments, cameras, door and window switches, motion detector and so on running it would be too much for the RAX120. My whole goal is to have alarm sytem that notifies me vie notification of an intruder and to record. And control the Thermostats.

I bought the echo show yesterday and it was a big fail. It doesnt connect well with my ZEN thermostats and I could not get it to read any camera but the ring cameras through the ring app. So, I thought I would need a dedicated mesh /hub for whichever security system I decided to go with. Any help there would be nice also

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the NightHawk RAX WiFi 6 Router products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with NH router products and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this router forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/bd-p/en-home-routers-nighthawk-wif...

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you.

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

Not sure how many total devices you have but the RAX120 should support quite a few. IoT devices don't use much bandwidth so they're not much of a concern. 

How many total devices do you have that you're planning on connecting? 

Any of your higher bandwidth devices should be on 5ghz. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7