× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AX12 drops connection to specific wired devices

rbrown3
Aspirant

Nighthawk AX12 drops connection to specific wired devices

I have a Nighthawk AX12 that I am using to replace a previous Nighthawk router. I am seeing some strange behavior between the AX12 and three NAS drives that are commected by wire.

The drives in question are 3 Western Digital My Cloud devices. They are connected through a wired connection that hasn't changed in the several years that I have had them. For some reason, however, the AX12 does not "see" the devices. It sees all other devices (28 in all) connected wired and wirelessly, but when I look at the attached devices page on the router's app it does not see these drives.

I have discovered that if I power down the drives and restart them (by unplugging the power chord and plugging it back in again) they show up on the AX12 for a few minutes and I can access them over my local network. Unfortunately, this does not last; eventually they disappear from the router's list of connected devices and all access to them is lost. Only by restarting the drives can I make them briefly appear on my network again.

I have several other NAS drives that the AX12 connects without problems. Futhermore, the previous Nighthawk router that I had was an X10, which never exhibited this problem with the Western Digital My Clouds.

Have I found a bug in the AX12's firmware? If so, how do I get it fixed? Otherwise, is there some way I can make my AX12 stop dropping these connections?

Someone please advise...

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Nighthawk AX12 drops connection to specific wired devices

Hi rbrown3 - Thank you for your post. We recommend contacting our support team regarding your issue. They can assist with identifying whether this may or may not be a bug in the firmware. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

~Christian 

Message 2 of 5
rbrown3
Aspirant

Greetings:

Thanks for the link.

It would appear that the nice automated system for contacting support does not work. There is a bug where after going through the process of entering my personal information and router serial number, it gets stuck on the page where I am supposed to enter the ticket and I cannot submit it.

In other words, I cannot contact support. How do I let support know that their support aplication is not working???

I may have to return this device if I cannot use it with all my network storage devices...

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Not much with the Netgear Support page ... there migth be some browser issues, so another browser or disabling some intrusive Internet security does commonly help.

For the other readers, the information you provided is a litle bit vague. re these WD NAS located just anywhere on your LAN, or is this a dedicated link to a switch where the WD NAS are connecting to?

Is everything lost, including the IPv4 connections (can't be pinged or accessed by http://[LAN-IP]/), or are just some host announcements NetBIOS (Broadcast), WS-Discovery, DNLA, UPnP,  ... (all Multicast) which disappear after a short time?

Message 4 of 5
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi rbrown3 - Thanks for letting me know. Please send me a message with your contact info and I can see if support can reach out to you immediately. 

~Christian 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7