× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AX6 6-Stream AX4300 WiFi Router - unstable connection

ehrgeiz22
Aspirant

Nighthawk AX6 6-Stream AX4300 WiFi Router - unstable connection

Hi I'm using the latest firmware but still running into disconnection issues. I have both 2.4 and 5G enabled and both are having instability issues. Running speed tests, the wi fi jumps all over the place and it's not my service provider as they're fiber optics and I haven't had any issues with a previous router.

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk AX6 6-Stream AX4300 WiFi Router - unstable connection

A couple things. 

1. what router do you actually have? AX4300 is a speed

2. what firmware version are you on. 

3. what modem/gateway/ONT are you connected to? (key as some devices function better with a double nat than others)

4. A little better description of your "instability" and your actual speed values are key. Also keep in mind the AX routers from AX use the smart connect (single ssid) for 2.4ghz/5ghz. And 2.4ghz is a much slower band and more sensitive to interference. so actual values for your speeds with the corresponding band you're on for it. 🙂 

Message 2 of 4
ehrgeiz22
Aspirant

Sorry for the incomplete info. Here's some more:

1. what router do you actually have?

• NETGEAR® Nighthawk® AX6/6-stream AX4300 WiFi Router (RAX45)

2. what firmware version are you on. 

V1.0.10.110_2.0.75

3. what modem/gateway/ONT are you connected to? (key as some devices function better with a double nat than others)

The connection is fibre optics so it's connected to ONT I believe. Not sure how I can find more info on this if you need it

4. A little better description of your "instability" and your actual speed values are key. Also keep in mind the AX routers from AX use the smart connect (single ssid) for 2.4ghz/5ghz. And 2.4ghz is a much slower band and more sensitive to interference. so actual values for your speeds with the corresponding band you're on for it. 🙂 

Hmm, so I mean I've been speed testing over the TV, phone and computer (both wireless and via ethernet.

I'm supposed to have 100mbps up and down from my provider. When I speed test over ethernet, I get the following:

On ethernet: 94.58 mbps download and 94.78 mbps upload, so it's fairly close to what I'd expect

On wifi 5g: 79.2 down and 61.9 up

On wifi 2.4g: 58.6 down and 33.8 up

I get that wifi is typically lower but it is also very unstable. The wifi connection will drop on the TV and other devices. It's a brand new router and I live in an apartment. I've tried adjusting it so that it's on a channel with fewer wifi signals. Some times when I run the wifi test, it's as slow as 12 mbps down. I never had this stability issue with a previous router, It's in a clear sightline near the TV and central to the apartment in an elevated location.

I'm not sure what else to trouble shoot--looking for any further advice, thanks!

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

A couple things. 

1. was it a new purchase? and you updated the firmware at the time of setting up? If so, factory reset it. the RAX devices had quite a few firmware changes and even underlying driver changes. Sometimes a factory reset can help clear out the old info that can cause instabilites. 

2. 2.4ghz in apartments is horrible for speed/stability. 2.4ghz is a slow network and sensitive to interference because it broadcasts further and through more materials. 

3. because of #2, try disabling smart connect. Then make sure any streaming devices or higher bandwidth devices are on the 5ghz. It doesn't broadcast as far or through as much materials as 2.4ghz so works better in apartments/condo's. 

4. Try changing the channels on the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz. Key in apartments as there's usually a bunch of interference.

5. Set your 5ghz "up to" speed to the half speed. In the full 3840mbps speed for 5ghz, it uses 160hz wide channels. this overlaps a lot of other channels as well as can be sensitive with the DFS channels. in apartments, this isn't ideal. You  might not hit the same peak speeds but you'll have better stability using 80hz wide channels. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7