× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk RAX45 Stopped Broadcasting Wifi

CJ-USA
Aspirant

Nighthawk RAX45 Stopped Broadcasting Wifi

My Nighthawk RAX45 will intermittingly stop broadcasting wifi signals.  All items directly connected to the router can access the internet but the wireless items will not see the router.  After a few minutes the wifi signal will reappear and some of the wireless items will connect to the router while the others still cannot see the router.  I have performed a factory reset and unplugged my modem, router and etc.  Thus far this has not resolved my problem.  This problem occurred after I unplugged my router for half a day.  I have verified the router's firmware is up to date (V1.0.11.112_2.0.77).  I look forward to your helpful suggestions.  Thanks        

Message 1 of 7
Razor512
Prodigy

Which WiFi channels are you using?

Also which region is the router from?

One potential issue that can make it seem like the WiFi SSID is disappearing, is if a DFS event has taken place. For example, if using the lower channels, then some of the channel width will fall within the DFS range, and the router will not do an 80+80MHz split, thus it could end up with the entire channel block being pushed into the DFS range. When in that range, you cannot actively probe for WiFi networks thus it takes a while to scan for them.

To rule out that issue, assuming a north American unit as a short term test (since this will reduce performance a little), Head to the router page.

In the WiFi settings, change the WiFi speed setting for the 5GHz radio from "Up to 4800 Mbps" to "Up to  2400 Mbps". After that, change the WiFi channel to 149 (or any non DFS channel for your region).

For the 2.4GHz radio, simply pick a channel manually instead of having it on auto.

If needed after applying the change, you can check which channels are being used by the WiFi radio. If they are not DFS channels, then use it like that for a while to see if the issue happens again.

Message 2 of 7
iyang
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @CJ-USA ,

Did you change wifi setting before you find stop broadcasting wifi signals ?

Could you check if broadcast wifi is enable or disable from gui ?

Thanks. 

Message 3 of 7
CJ-USA
Aspirant

Hi Razor512,

I made the adjustments according to your recommendation.  The router (RAX45) is working a little better but not at the rate before this problem occurred.  I still have to switch between bands (2.4GHz & 5GHz) when some devices do not see the signal.  I had to do this for all devices before I made the adjustment, now after the adjustment only a few devices require this change.  However the problem still exists.  Any additional helpful recommendations to solve my issue?  Thanks

CJ-USA

Message 4 of 7
CJ-USA
Aspirant

Hello iyang NETGEAR Expert,

Please see my reply below to your questions.

Question:  Did you change wifi setting before you find stop broadcasting wifi signals ?

Answer:  No, I did not change my wifi settings.  I turned the router off (unplug) for a few hours and when I turned it back on later the problem started happening.

Question:  Could you check if broadcast wifi is enable or disable from gui?

Answer:    The broadcast wifi is enabled.

Any suggestion will be welcomed.  Thanks

CJ-USA

Message 5 of 7
CJ-USA
Aspirant

Hello Razor512,

The answer to your question about the wifi channel and region are noted below.  

CJUSA_0-1667395334674.png

Thanks,

CJ-USA

Message 6 of 7
Razor512
Prodigy

That helps to rule out DFS issues since you are still experiencing issues while the router is forced to not use any DFS channels, as well as sticking with a single set of 2.4GHz channels.

In that case, you can return those settings to their normal ones. (2.4GHz set to auto) and 5GHz set to the highest speed option available and a channel such as channel 44.

After that, another test will be to disable the "Smart Connect" function and have a separate SSID for each band, this will help troubleshoot issues relating to bandsteering.

If that doesn't work, then to get more detailed info, it may be a bit more tricky unless you are comfortable with working with debug logs, as you can head to the router page/debug.htm for example "192.168.1.1/debug.htm", and then start logging, and then when the issue happens again, save the debug log, then review it.

Sadly it can be tricky to share debug logs unless you properly clear them of IP and config info, since the debug file will also contain your router settings in plain text thus the WiFi password, router admin password and any other setting you changed, thus not recommended for a public forum.

Beyond that, the debug logs can provide a wealth of info in tracking the issue down further.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7