× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk RAX50 Region not changeable - now what?

tlarm
Aspirant

Nighthawk RAX50 Region not changeable - now what?

I purchased this router new from Walmart in the U.S. The country region is set to China and I am unable to change it. I've tried the telenet route with no success. My question is should I return the router or just use it as is? It seems to work fine but seems like maybe I'm using unauthorized channels for the U.S. The channels I have available are 36,40,44,48, 52DFS, 56DFS, 60DFS and 64DFS.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Kitsap
Master

@tlarm wrote:

I purchased this router new from Walmart in the U.S. The country region is set to China and I am unable to change it. I've tried the telenet route with no success. My question is should I return the router or just use it as is? It seems to work fine but seems like maybe I'm using unauthorized channels for the U.S. The channels I have available are 36,40,44,48, 52DFS, 56DFS, 60DFS and 64DFS.

Recommend you return the item to the vendor.  Wi-Fi channels are only one issue.  Problems can develop down the road when it comes to updating firmware.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

@tlarm wrote:

Recommend you return the item to the vendor.  Wi-Fi channels are only one issue.  Problems can develop down the road when it comes to updating firmware.

Message 2 of 4
tlarm
Aspirant

Ok thank you. I just did. 🙂
Message 3 of 4

@tlarm wrote:

I purchased this router new from Walmart in the U.S. The country region is set to China and I am unable to change it.

I assume that you refer to the WiFi region. It is down to the law.

The US takes a heavy line on the kit sold into its market and insists on locked down WiFi setting. Buy something there and that is set in the WiFi region. Other countries may be less prescriptive, maybe China may is in the same boat. (Nice bedfellows.) Europe, for example, seems to be less rigid.

Interesting that Walmart is selling Chinese hardware. That is something often associated with Amazon.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7