× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk XR500 not reconnecting to internet after reboot

aspauld22
Aspirant

Nighthawk XR500 not reconnecting to internet after reboot

So I recently purchased the XR500 Pro Gaming router and an Arris Surfboard SB6190 modem. I have noticed that when I reboot the router (only done in order to clean up some messy cables that were in the area), when it boots back up, it doesn't reconnect to the internet automatically. I can sit and wait for a few minutes and the internet light is only amber, showing the ethernet detection. The only fix is to then reset the modem which reconnects the internet, but is that normal for it to not reconnect? It also happens when I reboot both the router and modem simultaneously. This causes me to have to reboot the modem a second time. Has anyone else had this issue and if so, have any tips for it to reconnect? After I reboot the modem, it reconnects just fine, but I have had far cheaper routers reconnect easier after a reboot. 

ISP: Spectrum 400mbps

Modem: Arris Surfboard SB6190

Router: Nighthawk XR500 Pro gaming router

Cat6 ethernet cable between modem and router

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk XR500 not reconnecting to internet after reboot

the procedure is to shut off both, boot up the modem, give it a few minutes to fully boot, and then to boot the router. 

Message 2 of 5
WestWH
Aspirant

I came across this post while researching this issue. I'm experiencing the same problem with a TP-Link router. Whenever I reboot the router, it does not reconnect using DHCP and i must reboot the SB6190 modem to obtain an IP addrress from the modem. Previously, I had an SB6121 and never had an issue when the router rebooted. Only change is the new SB6190 modem. I'll continue to research for answers and post if I find anything.

Router: Archer C9

ISP: Xfinity 200mbps

Message 3 of 5
microchip8
Master

@WestWH wrote:

I came across this post while researching this issue. I'm experiencing the same problem with a TP-Link router. Whenever I reboot the router, it does not reconnect using DHCP and i must reboot the SB6190 modem to obtain an IP addrress from the modem. Previously, I had an SB6121 and never had an issue when the router rebooted. Only change is the new SB6190 modem. I'll continue to research for answers and post if I find anything.

Router: Archer C9

ISP: Xfinity 200mbps

This forum is for NETGEAR devices only. If you need help for TP-Link, use their forum or ask over at SNBForums

Message 4 of 5
Leonidaz
Aspirant

I have the exact same equipment with Xfinity as my ISP and I am experiencing the same problem.   No Internet when router reboots.  Not sure why as my previous Nighthawk AC1900 wireless router will work just fine.  Here are the additional steps that I have done after noticing that the router is NOT getting a WAN IP address or DNS.  Since I have both settings as (automatically) get from ISP, I figured that these values where not being refresh.  In order for me to make it work, all I have to do is disconnect the network cable from the back of the "MODEM" and reconnect it again.  As soon as I do that, the router starts getting a WAN IP address and the connection status goes from: "Disconnected" to "Checking" and eventually "Connected".  Once that happens, my home network has Internet.

Now, I am not expert on how Netgear routers work but this is a DEFECT!  This needs to be address on the next firmware update as soon as possible.  Because if by me disconnecting the network cable from my modem and just by reconnecting it causes the router to get an IP address this means that the WAN port is not requesting or re-freshing the connection from the modem after the reboot.  A reboot process on devices should go through a series of lists of tasks once it reboots.  The "refresh" of the WAN port should be on that list and I believe that it is NOT which is why it does not work after the reboot only.

Now after further analyzing my router, I noticed that the IP address from ISP, which is being assigned automatically, still is listed in my router in gray numbers.  However, the DNS server ip addresses were not listed even though they are also automatically assigned.  So I said to myself, maybe if we specified the DNS servers it will work, but after specifiying the DNS servers and rebooting the router.  SAME PROBLEM!  So specifying the DNS servers DOES NOT work.  

Since I do not have a static IP Address, I did not test the IP address as the static for the WAN port but I will be curious to see if that will work.  This could be a temporarily solution if we can specified a static IP.  I say only temporarily because I still believe that it is a defect and that Netgear should address this ASAP as this is a gaming router.  I am curious to see who else has this issue and what have they done to resolve it.  Please reply if you have the same problem. 

Thank you!

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7