× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: No bridge (TP-link) to internet (Nghthawk AX8)

Admiral_Awesome
Initiate

No bridge (TP-link) to internet (Nghthawk AX8)

Hello All!

I've had a frustrating few days trying to set up my network. I recently moved house and the nature of my NBN connection changed accordingly (from HFC to FTTB). I was somewhat foolishly unaware that my existing router (Nighthawk AX8) does not support VDSL. In order to address this, I got a relatively cheap VDSL modem (TP-link TD-W9970) with the intention of setting it up in bridge mode for my Nighthawk to connect into.

Alas no internet! I should note here that I had no problems at my previous residence.

For the TP-link modem (from factory defaults) I've set it up straight into Bridge mode (no VLAN ID - I'm with Superloop) without amending any other settings, except for specifying the DSL modulation to VDSL2. I should note that as a standalone modem router it works passably and is able to maintain a connection, so I don't think that's the problem.

For my Nighthawk, again from factory defaults, when I try to connect it to the TP-link modem it can't establish an internet connection: DHCP, no VLAN, etc (as per Superloop specifications). I've tried power cycling my Nighthawk through each of the LAN ports on the TP-link modem, even tried different cables and nothing has worked so far.

So, I was hoping people here might be aware of some setting or something (on either modem) that could rectify this situation? At the moment my Nighthawk has become a rather expensive paper weight.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Have you tried setting up the tp-link in router mode (disable its wifi) and then connect the netgear to it with the netgear in access point mode? 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Have you tried setting up the tp-link in router mode (disable its wifi) and then connect the netgear to it with the netgear in access point mode? 

Message 2 of 3
Admiral_Awesome
Initiate

Hello @plemans 

Thanks for the reply, that worked! It never really occured to my, all the other potential solutions to date had all been about 'bridge mode'.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7