× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PC download speed is slower then speed provided by ISP

hoshposh
Follower

PC download speed is slower then speed provided by ISP

I recently upgraded my home internet and purchased a Nighthawk router to go along with it. After setting everything up with my ISP and the Nighthawk, I used the app to test the speed and it showed around 700 Mbps. My set up is in the basement of my house and the router is set 2 stories higher. When using my xbox the download speeds match the speed provided by my ISP but when I use my PC the speeds are significantly slower. I checked my ethernet settings and it says my Link speed is 1000 Mbps, but when testing my download speed it averages 30 Mbps. My question is, would this be a router problem (the location or maybe a setting I can change) or is this a problem with my PC's hardware?

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: PC download speed is slower then speed provided by ISP

You've gave us not much to go off. 

1. what router did you buy? 

2. what firmware is on it? 

3. what modem/gateway is it connected to? 

4. how is your PC connected to the router? Wired? Wireless? What band? 

5. what are you using to speedtest with? 

Message 2 of 4
Kitsap
Master

@hoshposh wrote:

I recently upgraded my home internet and purchased a Nighthawk router to go along with it. After setting everything up with my ISP and the Nighthawk, I used the app to test the speed and it showed around 700 Mbps. My set up is in the basement of my house and the router is set 2 stories higher. When using my xbox the download speeds match the speed provided by my ISP but when I use my PC the speeds are significantly slower. I checked my ethernet settings and it says my Link speed is 1000 Mbps, but when testing my download speed it averages 30 Mbps. My question is, would this be a router problem (the location or maybe a setting I can change) or is this a problem with my PC's hardware?

Like @plemans says, your post is really sparse on details.

If you have a Windows computer, your computer treats your new router like a new network.  As a protective measure, Windows sets the profile for new networks as public like you are connecting in a coffee shop or restaurant.  Go to Network Settings and make sure your Network Profile is classified as private and not public.

Message 3 of 4

@Kitsap wrote:

If you have a Windows computer, your computer treats your new router like a new network.  As a protective measure, Windows sets the profile for new networks as public like you are connecting in a coffee shop or restaurant.  Go to Network Settings and make sure your Network Profile is classified as private and not public.

Wise advice. That's an "oldie but goodie" around here.

It isn't always easy to track down as Microsoft "improves" things.

In Windows 11, look in

> Settings

> Network & Internet

michaelkenward_1-1675882429110.png

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7