× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PS remote play - cannot connect to my PS5 outside of home

Eric1361
Aspirant

PS remote play - cannot connect to my PS5 outside of home

Hello,

Can you please adivse how can I connect to my PS5 and desktop computer outside of home?

It seems I need to do something on my router setting.

Whenever I was trying to connect to my PS5 for remote play, I get message that can't acess.

Please advise.

Message 1 of 7

Re: PS remote play - cannot connect to my PS5 outside of home

@Eric1361 wrote:

Can you please adivse how can I connect to my PS5 and desktop computer outside of home?

It seems I need to do something on my router setting.

What does that mean? I

f the PS5 and desktop computer are away from your home network, then you won't be able to use your Internet connection unless it is on a mobile network.

What Netgear hardware do you own?

What are you trying to do?

What are you doing and where does it go wrong?

Message 2 of 7
Eric1361
Aspirant

Just to clarify,

I have nighthawk AX6000 WiFi Cable Modem Router (CAX80)

What I'm trying to do is playing game remotely through my ps5 and desktop pc at home when I'm outside.

As for PS5, it's connected to internet with wired cable. I can't play PS remote play when I trying to to use it remotely when I'm outside since I can't connect to my PS5.

As for my desktop, I'm trying to use steamlink to play game.

Message 3 of 7
Eric1361
Aspirant

Hello, thank you for looking into this.

What Netgear hardware do you own? 

nighthawk AX6000 WiFi Cable Modem Router (CAX80)

What are you trying to do?

I want to play ps remote play when I'm outside home through my ps5 in my livingroom.

What are you doing and where does it go wrong?

I think my netgear cable modem router is blocking connection from outside of home.

In order to connect to my ps5 for remoteplay, I think I need to adjust setting so I can connect to my devices at home from anywhere.

Message 4 of 7

@Eric1361 wrote:

What I'm trying to do is playing game remotely through my ps5 and desktop pc at home when I'm outside.

You mean you want to sit in the backyard and connect your PS5 to the wifi from your CAX80?

Forget about the "outside" bit. Work out how to connect the PS5 to the wifi when you are sitting next to the router. Get that right and the wifi should follow you.

What happens when you try to connect the PS5 to the wifi from your CAX80?

Likewise the PC.  Is that wired into the CAX80? Or is it connected over wifi?

Message 5 of 7
Eric1361
Aspirant

Hello, ps remote play is working when I’m connected to same wifi as my router.

What I can’t figuring out is using remote play when I’m on different wifi or using cellular data.
For instance, my home is in LA and I want to do remote play when I’m at other state.
Message 6 of 7

@Eric1361 wrote:

What I can’t figuring out is using remote play when I’m on different wifi or using cellular data.
For instance, my home is in LA and I want to do remote play when I’m at other state.

You need to connect to the wifi at other state.

What does "remote play" require? A connection to your desktop computer at home?

If so, you need to set up some sort of service that lets you connect to your home from  a distant wifi source. Perhaps you need a VPN. Who knows?

@Eric1361 wrote:
Hello, ps remote play is working when I’m connected to same wifi as my router.

Your problem seems to be with the PS player, not the router. Try visiting a support group for the PS player.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7