× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX-42 Port Based VLANs

t84a
Aspirant

RAX-42 Port Based VLANs

This post is very similar to a post I made several years ago.

I'm trying to mitigate wifi congestion.

I want to assign 2 of the ports to 2 additional (separate) VLANs. I would run a couple Unifi APs to one of the VLAN ports for the Fire Stick based TVs. I would connect a camera NVR to the second VLAN.

Do I need to do anything else like tagging or are the physical connections sufficient?
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RAX-42 Port Based VLANs

That's not supported on this or any model NG home class router. Most VLAN and VLAN Tagging is kept to the Manage switch domain. 

You might check out Orbi Pro and see if there is any VLAN support that your looking for there. 

Message 2 of 6
t84a
Aspirant

Thanks. The manual references setting up bridge ports.

Maybe VLAN was the wrong term.
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What page is that on?

I believe this model router only sports Router, AP and Wireless Bridge mode. Wireless bridge mode would let the LAN ports be used like a switch. Just no VLAN features here though. Just LAN ports for devices to connected to while in that mode.

Message 4 of 6
t84a
Aspirant

Page 75

I tried to attach a screenshot but no success.
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe that's for ISP that has some TV Services for there devices connected behind the router that require VLAN tagging. I guess you can try to configure it and see if it works for your needs to see if anything works for you. 

If not, then a managed switch would be next. Maybe something like NGs GS-108T? 

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7