× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX120 5ghz radio stopped working after 2 days

panny
Tutor

RAX120 5ghz radio stopped working after 2 days

Hi all, title pretty much says it all. Got my new RAX120 router on Monday (2 days ago) and am already having issues. 

Running the new firmware v1.0.1.122. 5ghz wifi would take a while to show up after a reboot or just in general and drops multiple times a day. then noticed each morning when i woke up, nothing would be connected to 5ghz. woke up this morning and 5ghz won't show up at all. done a reboot, factory restore, wifi radio is enabled, smartconnect off etc etc (all the things other posts have spoken about). know my router stuff and see no reason why 5ghz wouldn't be working. 2.4ghz radio is absolutely fine and stable. wired is fine. 

Is there anything being worked on to fix this? If not, I'm probably going to send this back for a refund and go back to my old router. Was so excited to receive this new router and it's given me nothing but grief. 

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Re: RAX120 5ghz radio stopped working after 2 days

Download the latest firmware and install over the top. Then use the rear pin hole method to reset the router. Once reset power down for 10 mins.

start up and set up as new, do not use a save cfg. 

See if that help. 

As a side not don't use the 160HTon the 5ghz channel, use 80HT only.

also double check on the internet settings that always on is set as it has a habit of being on dial up.

Message 2 of 9
panny
Tutor

I've done and checked all the above except the power down for 10 mins. does that make a difference? 

I've done 2 reset pin wipes today including reinstalling the current firmware over the top as well so want to avoid another wipe if i can. But will do it if you think it might make a difference. otherwise all other settings you mentioned are fine

Message 3 of 9
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Got to be honest and say it sounds like you have been unlucky with the hardware and I would RMA the unit or return to where you purchased it from for exchange.

they are normally rock solid but like anything there's always the odd failure with any hardware.

Message 4 of 9

@Newfiedrool wrote:

Got to be honest and say it sounds like you have been unlucky with the hardware and I would RMA the unit or return to where you purchased it from for exchange.

they are normally rock solid but like anything there's always the odd failure with any hardware.

Good move with something that new.

If you want to persevere, it may help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Message 5 of 9
Watz
Aspirant

My router is currently on firmware version 1.0.1.114 and it is stable. I would try and download this previous version from Netgear's website, load it and then see if that solves the problem.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RAX120.aspx#Firmware%20Version%201.0.1.114

Message 6 of 9
Topology
Virtuoso

Panny, to clarify, was the problem absent before you upgraded the RAX120 firmware to version 1.0.1.122? If you are unsure, it may be beneficial (as suggested by Watz above) to install and test a prior firmware version.

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem, RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 7 of 9
panny
Tutor

Thanks all. I've now learnt the unit is just a dud as the 2.4g radio is now not working and the router is generally unresponsive. 

Will be sending this one back. 

Thanks for all your comments and replies!

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 8 of 9
Newfiedrool
Virtuoso

Thanks for the update, it did come across as hardware related. Hopefully the new one will be spot on for you.

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7