× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX120 No 2.4ghz

afhvengeance
Aspirant

RAX120 No 2.4ghz

Arrived home today and noticed a few connected devices flashing red lights at me. After a little research, realized the router is no longer broadcasting the 2.4ghz band. 5ghz is still up and working. The 2.4 ghz light is on and blinking on the unit. I have tried simply rebooting, updating firmware to the latest (1.2.9.52), factory reset, nothing has made it come back. The unit is definitely outside of the warranty period... Any other things to try before I start shopping?

Message 1 of 7

Re: RAX120 No 2.4ghz

@afhvengeance wrote:

After a little research, realized the router is no longer broadcasting the 2.4ghz band. 5ghz is still up and working. The 2.4 ghz light is on and blinking on the unit.

Is it just some devices that lose the wifi?

By design the RAX120 uses Smart Connect and doesn't have separate SSIDs for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, so it isn't always easy to work out if they are both broadcasting.

Message 2 of 7
afhvengeance
Aspirant

Smart connect isn't on, and it has always broadcasted two different SSIDs, the network name, then the network name-5G. It completely stopped broadcasting the former, meaning devices that could see it previously and connect to it, can no longer do so. If I go to the attached devices page, all of the connected devices are either wired or on the 5G band.
Message 3 of 7

@afhvengeance wrote:
Smart connect isn't on, and it has always broadcasted two different SSIDs, the network name, then the network name-5G.

OK. It was important to fill that missing gap in the details you provided.

Another missing detail, have you also checked that the RAX120 is set the broadcast the 2.4 GHz SSID? That is also something that you can toggle in the GUI.

You said earlier that you had reset the router. Did you check that you had restored the earlier settings? Is Smart Connect still off?

Message 4 of 7
afhvengeance
Aspirant

Yes it is set to broadcast. Like I said in the original post, it was all working as it should, randomly came in one day and the 2.4 was gone.
Message 5 of 7

@afhvengeance wrote:
Like I said in the original post, it was all working as it should, randomly came in one day and the 2.4 was gone.

Unfortunately, we have seen cases of routers suddenly losing their settings and reverting to the defaults. This can happen after a power cut.

That's why it is important to look under the hood and see what is going on.

Looks like you may have to replace the router. Depending on where you are, it may be possible to make a warranty call. The US may be limited to one year, but some countries have better consumer protection.

Have you played with guests network to see if that comes to life?

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a 30-30-30 reset on the router.

https://www.lifewire.com/hard-reset-rule-for-routers-3971318

If this fails, one could just disable the radio fully with in the router and install a 2.4Ghz wireless AP wired to the RAX router so you could continue using the RAX other working features. 

@afhvengeance wrote:

Arrived home today and noticed a few connected devices flashing red lights at me. After a little research, realized the router is no longer broadcasting the 2.4ghz band. 5ghz is still up and working. The 2.4 ghz light is on and blinking on the unit. I have tried simply rebooting, updating firmware to the latest (1.2.9.52), factory reset, nothing has made it come back. The unit is definitely outside of the warranty period... Any other things to try before I start shopping?

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7