× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX120 V2 Constant Random Reboots

It's looking very positive!

I'd love to know how they fixed it, but hope they can wrap it up into a full release for others quickly, it'll make life so much better for RAX120 owners who are having to suffer with the reboots.

Message 451 of 707
Kidhack
Star

The beta seems to work! 8 days and going strong!

Message 452 of 707
mlm44
Star

Hate to burst bubbles but I had 11 days on the beta before it rebooted itself. It happened when I fired up a desktop PC that had not been running for a week. Also been having problems loading the statistics page in the web interface.
Message 453 of 707
tr4sh80
Apprentice

I'm 18 days without a single reboot. Also ran a huge copy to my attached network storage that surely would have caused a reboot before and didn't.
Message 454 of 707

To be fair that’s good going for any router and so much better than it was before, plus there’s no real way of knowing whether that single reboot is related or not, could well be a new issue no one’s ever seen before because these routers haven’t been able to stay online for that long 🙂

Bottom line is, there’s a very tangible improvement being had here and it’s extremely positive.
Message 455 of 707
mlm44
Star

I don't know, my old AC1750 router would run for months on end without issue. I still think there is a hardware issue that either the firmware is triggering or not sufficiently masking. I would expect at least 30 days of uptime before I feel comfortable the issue is corrected by this beta. It seems better than before but I'm not convinced yet.

Message 456 of 707

There’s only one person who’s reporting a single reboot after 11 days, most others aren’t reporting anything.

I don’t think we need to worry or be drawing any negative conclusions at the moment, all signs point to stability.
Message 457 of 707
mlm44
Star

Not sure if you would say that if your router still rebooted on its own for no apparent reason. I will stay the course with the beta and any new updates but reducing the frequency of reboots is not the same as eliminating them. We shall see. Right now the sample size is very small, just a few folks on this thread.

Message 458 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Would need to know what else was going on when you fired up this PC when the router seem to reboot. What all was happening and did you check the log for the reboot? Did you see the top LEDs change when this happened? 

Would need to know the configuration your using and ISP brand and model# the router is connected too. Is IPv6 being used?

There maybe some other factors that maybe contributing to what your seeing on your router. Configuration and environment play into this as well.

11 days is well enough time to prove the beta is working. 

I believe once NG fine tunes this in, the stats page and debug pages will return back to normal operation. 

@mlm44 wrote:
Hate to burst bubbles but I had 11 days on the beta before it rebooted itself. It happened when I fired up a desktop PC that had not been running for a week. Also been having problems loading the statistics page in the web interface.

Message 459 of 707
Phoenix85
Aspirant

Somebody can send me the Beta firmware, please ?

Message 460 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

@Phoenix85 wrote:

Somebody can send me the Beta firmware, please ?

Message 461 of 707
mlm44
Star

The router crashed as soon as the NIC on my personal PC powered up. It is a wired connection. Nothing out of the ordinary going on at the time, just routine network traffic, no streaming or anything intensive. My work PC was shut down at the time so that can't be the problem, and the personal PC works fine since the router rebooted. I have repeated cold starting the PC and the router has been fine ever since the reboot. There are about 25 devices on my network including some WiFi cameras and IoT devices, in addition to smart TVs, Roku, TiVo and our phones and tablets so there are many potential culprits but no smoking guns. I have a Motorola MB8611 modem, not using IPv6. Nothing in the log and I can't see the lights because a) the router is in another room and b) I have the LEDs turned off.

I'm just reporting what I saw in case it is of any help in resolving this. I need this router to be reliable for work-related VPN and online conferencing so the reboots are more than an inconvenience when they happen during work hours. Fortunately this happened after hours so it was just an annoyance.

I don't doubt the beta has improved things but I still had an unexpected reboot. I had over 16 continuous days of uptime on the old firmware so I'm not sure 11 days on the beta proves anything for me. If 11 days is the bar for declaring victory then I think that's pretty low, these routers should run for weeks if not months without an issue. It has been stable since it rebooted over a day ago.

Message 462 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

@mlm44 wrote:

The router crashed as soon as the NIC on my personal PC powered up. It is a wired connection.

What is the Mfr and model# of this NIC? 

Is the drivers for this NIC up to date as well? 

What CAT# lan cable are you using? CAT6 is recommended.

Nothing out of the ordinary going on at the time, just routine network traffic, no streaming or anything intensive. My work PC was shut down at the time so that can't be the problem, and the personal PC works fine since the router rebooted. I have repeated cold starting the PC and the router has been fine ever since the reboot. There are about 25 devices on my network including some WiFi cameras and IoT devices, in addition to smart TVs, Roku, TiVo and our phones and tablets so there are many potential culprits but no smoking guns. I have a Motorola MB8611 modem, not using IPv6. Nothing in the log and I can't see the lights because a) the router is in another room and b) I have the LEDs turned off. <I recommend  that you turn the LEDs ON so you can have some visual indications of a router reboot as well. 

Are you using default DHCP IP address range or did you change it to .100 to .200 at my recommendation? 

I'm just reporting what I saw in case it is of any help in resolving this. I need this router to be reliable for work-related VPN and online conferencing so the reboots are more than an inconvenience when they happen during work hours. Fortunately this happened after hours so it was just an annoyance.

I don't doubt the beta has improved things but I still had an unexpected reboot. I had over 16 continuous days of uptime on the old firmware so I'm not sure 11 days on the beta proves anything for me. If 11 days is the bar for declaring victory then I think that's pretty low, these routers should run for weeks if not months without an issue. It has been stable since it rebooted over a day ago.

The reboot doesn't mean the FW isn't working. Could be something else and since we don't have any logs for NG to look at, kind of hard to check this or claim failure here. Something you might enable is logging and see. Set up a USB drive and point the logging out to the USB flash drive. Not sure if setting up any TFTP configurations that NG wanted before will help on this. Try the USB log capture and let it run and see if it happens again. 

Message 463 of 707
mlm44
Star

The NIC is an Intel I219-V and the drivers are up to date.

I did change the DHCP range as you suggested after I did the factory reset.

I'm using Cat 5e. It was good enough for my old AC1750 router, that thing ran for years on the same network config. So it's something particular to the RAX120 which I just installed in mid-September.

I will try to save the logs to a USB thumb drive but not sure when I will get around to this.

Message 464 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

@mlm44 wrote:

The NIC is an Intel I219-V and the drivers are up to date.

I did change the DHCP range as you suggested after I did the factory reset.

I'm using Cat 5e. It was good enough for my old AC1750 router, that thing ran for years on the same network config. So it's something particular to the RAX120 which I just installed in mid-September. <I'd update to CAT6 at least. 

I will try to save the logs to a USB thumb drive but not sure when I will get around to this.

Message 465 of 707
GMCbroMAN
Aspirant

Same here. Had it replaced once and have the same problem. I've spent hours on top of hours on the phone and even had my internet provider here multiple times thinking it was there issue. They replaced my line from the pole to my modem and my modem. The router keeps rebooting, over and over and over. I have yet to spend the money on a UPS to combat any power issues. I think it's overheating. And spent a little over $400. To replace an older Nighthawk that was doing the same thing and I figured it was time for an upgrade. I see many people are experiencing the same problems.
Message 466 of 707
GMCbroMAN
Aspirant

Re: RAX120v2 keeps randomly restarting

I somewhat agree. But most if anything like me will buy a different brand. If they fix it soon I'll stick with them.
Message 467 of 707
dude8370
Star

Glad the new firmware is working! A while back I exchanged For  v1 Which has been completely flawless. My old v2 Unit while unstable at the time had ever so slightly better range, not much the difference is negligible . Hoping to see the best!

Message 468 of 707
verrnum
Aspirant

Hello,

I have the RAX120, and I'm facing random reboots also...can I have beta firmware please ?

Thank you

Message 469 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

@verrnum wrote:

Hello,

I have the RAX120, and I'm facing random reboots also...can I have beta firmware please ?

Thank you

Message 470 of 707
verrnum
Aspirant

Hello,

The firmware version is : V1.2.8.40

the model numer is AX6000 WIFI Routeur RAX120

I use a CAT8 Lan cable between the Modem  and the  NETGEAR router,using the Multi Gig Port : 

https://amzn.eu/d/iJGQI9y

Regards

Message 471 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@verrnum wrote:

Hello,

The firmware version is : V1.2.8.40

the model numer is AX6000 WIFI Routeur RAX120

I use a CAT8 Lan cable between the Modem  and the  NETGEAR router,using the Multi Gig Port : 

https://amzn.eu/d/iJGQI9y

Regards

Message 472 of 707
mcpost
Aspirant

@DarrenM - would it be possible to get the beta of whichever firmware fixes the random reboots? We're on 1.2.8.40 and still experiencing the issue.

Thanks in advance.

Message 473 of 707
Midnight_Star
Aspirant

I am also having this issue, running the latest firmware. Any chance of getting the Beta version?

Message 474 of 707
davidrbill
Aspirant

I have been battling this since purchasing as well.  Netgear requested I update to the .40 firmware and do a factory reset afterwards, but it did not resolve the issue.  They also requested I change the DNS server addresses to static with relevant addresses, and it also did not resolve the issue.

Message 475 of 707
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7