× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX120 V2 Constant Random Reboots

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RAX120 V2 Constant Random Reboots

Feed back: NG feels that they found some Kernel panics happening that can cause more CPU usage and thus also increase the internal heat with in that seems to be causing the random reboots. Especially under stress or load. So this gives those who turned on the thermal fan or added additional cooling and stopped the reboots from happening the work around solution for this which has already been posted about.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/RAX120-V2-Constant-Random-Reboots/...

The beta that's being offered is supposed to help with these Kernel panics and should stop the random reboots. 

Regardless of FW, I recommend that any user place a laptop cooler under any router they have. Helps keep the router cooler 24/7 and helps with electronics longevity. 

Message 201 of 707
JFZoidberg
Guide

Nighthawk RAX120v2 Frequently Reboots

My RAX120v2 reboots numerous times every day at seemingly random times. Here is a recent example from the Logs:

[Time synchronized with NTP server] Wednesday, July 27, 2022 10:00:37
[Initialized, firmware version: V1.2.3.28] Wednesday, July 27, 2022 10:00:35

I’m running the newest firmware (V1.2.3.28). I’ve read other threads about this issue, but still haven’t gotten to the bottom of it — although I know that countless other people are experiencing the same problem.

• Is this a problem with it overheating?

• Are there settings I can use to avoid the issue?

• Is there beta firmware available that solves the problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! For a premium router, it’s very frustrating that I’m having this happen all the time.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 202 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk RAX120v2 Frequently Reboots

Try enabling the ThermalFan under router IP address/debug.htm

Others reported that either this or adding a laptop cooling fan stopped the reboots from happening. 

I recommend getting a laptop cooler under the router for added cooling:

https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Massive-Adjustable-Notebook-CL-N004-PL20BL/dp/B00IGSATZY/ref=sr_1...

Any laptop cooler can work. 

Message 203 of 707
JFZoidberg
Guide

Thank you, @FURRYe38! I ordered a laptop cooling fan earlier today as well as enabled the router's fan. Fingers crossed that this will solve the problem, but it's still frustrating — especially since the fan would have to be reenabled whenever the router restarts.

Do you happen to know if/how I could obtain beta firmware?

Message 204 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya the fan only comes one when the internal temp gets triggered when in normal operation. 

If you reboot the router, that debug setting gets disabled again. 

Yes, send @DarrenM a PM. 

Message 205 of 707
JFZoidberg
Guide

Thank you so much! Just did.

Message 206 of 707
_NDS_
Apprentice

RAX120 V2 Constant Random Reboots

Hello all

just wanted to let you know the results of my successful investugation into this topic.

Firstly, a disclaimer - I live in UK and the solution I am providing won't work for the USA directly, however it should help you to direct any action you would want to take with Netgear. The reason I decided to post is that I firmly believe that I have identified the root cause of the fault.I have the UK version of the router several times throughout the upgardes of the firmware and found that the UK model RAX120-100EUS has had its speed and connectivity issues through various versions of firmware but did not randomly reboot (I kept returning the routers due to instability.)

When the version 2 of the RAX120 hardware was announced, I decided to finally buy this model due to promised upgrades to the chipset including UL OFDMA. Plus the user reports on firmware instability have dramatically reduced. However, that version hardware never has made it to the UK market (version 1 is still on sale here). I therefore bought RAX120 v2 in the USA and imported it. As soon as it arrived, I installed and started using it. Fortunately, the power adapter it came with was compatible with UK 240V AC 60Hz electricity supply.

The model number on the box is RAX120-100NAS. Prior to using the router I have updated it to the latest production firmware V1.2.3.28 and made a factory reset.

The router rebooted while in use without any warning during the first 48 hours. And then continued to reboot randomly as per many threads and posts in this forum.

It came with this power adapter:

USA adapter, as supplied in the boxUSA adapter, as supplied in the box

Message 207 of 707
_NDS_
Apprentice

Re: RAX120 V2 Constant Random Reboots - actual fault and solution

I noticed that the UK version of RAX 120 was supplied with a different adapter model, though an equivalent one to the one I got from the USA  does exist for the UK market.

This is the UK power brick

NETGEAR ADS-65MIA-19 for RAX120 2.pngNETGEAR ADS-65MIA-19 for RAX120.jpg

Message 208 of 707
_NDS_
Apprentice

As you can see it is quite substantial in size. I started wondering why has Netgear chosen to change the adapter model though they have a perfect equivalent to the one in the USA?

Here it is:

NETGEAR-800x800 AD2003D00-UK.jpg

Message 209 of 707
_NDS_
Apprentice

Please note, all three adapters have the same output voltage, current and power (19V, 3.16A, 60W). I concluded, that the European arm of Netgear was aware of the potential instability of the RAX120 router with the adapter model AD2003200 and replaced that model with a different one for a reason.

So, with great difficulty (Netgear doesn't sell their power adapters directly) I sourced the correct UK/ EU supplied power adapter (model ADS-65MIA-19), powered the RAX120 V2 router with it and hey presto - it has been stable for exactly one week without a reboot.

The router is stable, does not restart, does not drop connections, the cooling fan comes on and switches off regularly - as it should.

Therefore,  the root cause of the random reboots problem is not in the firmware, not in the poor cooling, but in the inadequate features of the AD2073F20 power adapter the RAX120 v2 model is supplied to the US customer base.

Ironically, Netgear themselves state in their help pages on their website that incorrect power adpater may cause their routers to 'misteriously reboot'. Information about power adapters on Netgear products.

However, up until now thet have not found the source of the random reboots problem with the RAX120 v2. 🤣

Solution: RAX120 v2 owners in the US nag Netgear for a replacement power adapter

Message 210 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

I suppose this could be one possible solution. Though if all your adapters you've tried supplied same voltage and amps. I would have checked the voltage and amps with a test meter across all three adapters to check for any differences. Could have been a faulty or out of spec adapter. I believe the 120 I have came with the non AD2003 adapter. I'll have to check on this. 

Though other have found that there maybe a cooling issue that the units are not cooling properly and thus users have found that either enabling the thermal fan on the router or adding extra cooling, i.e. laptop cooler under the router has stopped these random reboots and not a power adapter replacement. Also there is a beta FW available for RAX120v2 users as well that is supposed to help resolve these random reboots as well. 

Message 211 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

Message 212 of 707
_NDS_
Apprentice

The same Netgear help article that I linked says that router could be also overheating due to the incorrect power adapter being used. So knowledge is there it just not applied properly. My findings point out that the random reboots will not be sorted by firmware.

Message 213 of 707
JFZoidberg
Guide

Unfortunately, it’s not looking like it. I’m running beta firmware (V1.2.8.36), I’ve had the fan constantly running, and I have the router sitting on a laptop cooler (in an air conditioned room), yet it’s still rebooting.
Message 214 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Eeeks. 
And did you perform a factory reset and setup from scratch after the beta was applied? 

What power brick do you have with your 120? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/RAX120-V2-Constant-Random-Reboots-...

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What CAT# lan cable is being used between the router and modem? 

Message 215 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Though the KB article doesn't specify a heat issue due to incorrect power adapter being used. I presume the KB article summarized that the use of incorrect power adapters, other than what came INBOX, could cause damage or incorrect operation of the router. 

Though still all 3 adapters you tested would need to be checked by a power meter or oscilloscope to see if there are any differences between them that may cause something to happen. 

Here is my RAX120 PS:

IMG_1206.jpg

Message 216 of 707
JFZoidberg
Guide

Yes, I factory reset the router and set it up again after flashing the beta firmware. The power adapter model number is AD2073F20.

The modem I’m using is my own Nighthawk CM1200, which works fine, since I didn’t have any issues with it while using my old router. The Ethernet — which I cable dropped throughout my house a few months ago — is CAT5e and also hasn’t had any issues on its own. I’m certain it’s the router that’s causing the issues, although the power adapter theory definitely seems possible. Now I guess it’s a matter of finding the older adapter and seeing if that helps.
Message 217 of 707
_NDS_
Apprentice

Yes indeed, the adapter included in the box is the one you showed AD7023F20 (I used stock picture in my first post and could not replace it later).

This power adapter - AD7023F20- is the one that's causing the random reboots, as it clearly doesn't meet the requirements of this particular router.

Are you going to relay this information to Netgear to

1) stop their work on the firmware for the reboot issue, which clearly is not going to help it

2) make them replace the power adapters for all their USA RAX120 V2 customers, who lodged numerous complains  about the issue with no resolution?

I assume you have some connection to Netgear in the USA, considering the frequency and nature of your posts in this forum?

NETGEAR-ADAPTER.jpeg

Message 218 of 707
_NDS_
Apprentice

Here is my RAX120 V2 log that shows that the router did not restart since last Saturday when powered with UK / EU / Asia adapter Model ADS-65MIA-19 with the current firmware installed.

Netgear log.jpg

Message 219 of 707
_NDS_
Apprentice

Unfortunately, you and many others are waisting your precious time and money trying beta firmware or attempting to cool the router. The problem is with the power adapter Netgear supplies with RAX120 V2 in the USA. My other post clearly shows that replacing the power adapter solves the problem. Random reboots problem solved 

As I am personally not in the USA, I would check what other power adapter options exist in your market as the UK / EU / Asia adapter does not work with the USA voltage. You should complain to Netgear and force them to deal with the problem, not try to resolve it yourself or - if you still have such option - return the the thing for a refund.

Message 220 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Well this is the adapter that is working for my RAX120 though. Have Not seen any reboots here. 

Only items I have seen is the internal temp does get hot and adding the thermal fan and cooling helps here. 

Can you take a meter reading of the volts and amps with all the power adapters you have? Especially the amp at the tip of these power adapters...

IF your not in the USA, then we presume the UK versions of the power adapters should work. USA adapters are not ment for use outside of the USA and would probably present this problem if used in other countries. 

Message 221 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

IF your not in the USA, then we presume the UK versions of the power adapters should work. USA adapters are not ment for use outside of the USA and would probably present this problem if used in other countries. Or if you bought something from the USA and took it back to the UK. 

Message 222 of 707
_NDS_
Apprentice

@FURRYe38We both have checked and confirmed that the RAX120 V2 is supplied with Netgear AD2073F20 adapter which is rated for 100-240V and 50/60 Hz input. Why shouldn't it work outside the United States?

Message 223 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Anything would be possible as we would not know of what goes on out side of the US region in regards to power. It's presumptive to assume that what doesn't work out side the US region would be the same with in it with out deeper review of all the adapters taking into consideration the differences between US and non US regional power configurations. Also you would need to check the power adapter that you consider causing the problem against another same model adapter to confirm if the problem appears across same model adapters or you may have just a bad adapter. 

Message 224 of 707
_NDS_
Apprentice

@FURRYe38if you 'have not seen any reboots' you must be an outlier, as the community forums are full of user complaints about router randomly rebooting, replacing it with another unit does not change that behaviour and none of the fixes you mention work. These are all signs of the hardware having an issue in a typical user environment. We do not know anything about your environment, do we?. Have you had your mains treated in some way? Are you running it from a power conditioner or UPS? All this may or may not matter.

What I know is that changing the power adapter stops this router rebooting problem and therefore it is that part of the hardware that makes a difference. Instead of trying to diffuse the situation and blame everything but the power adapter, why would you not pass my information to Netgear and get their official reply? They could at least do some of the measurements you suggested or other to understand what triggers the reboots of RAX120 V2 with the AD7023F20 adapter model.

Message 225 of 707
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7