× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX120 - poor WiFi speeds

Alexjccim
Apprentice

RAX120 - poor WiFi speeds

Hello There,

I purchased my RAX120 on April 22.  I replaced a R8500.  The Wifi speeds are horrible.  Can anyone suggest some diagnostics test or suggestions to trouble shoot this issue.  My entire family is resorting to hot spotting off our mobile phones.  Netgear technical support just tries to sell me a support plan instead of trying to help.  I would appreciate any advice that is possible.

Thank you,

-Alex

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Killhippie
Prodigy

Do a factory reset after updating, and did you turn on Bitdefender Armor? I and many others here get great speeds so it could be that the reset will help (its advised on big updates really) and failing that it may be settings or at worst hardware.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
Killhippie
Prodigy

Do a factory reset after updating, and did you turn on Bitdefender Armor? I and many others here get great speeds so it could be that the reset will help (its advised on big updates really) and failing that it may be settings or at worst hardware.
Message 2 of 7
Alexjccim
Apprentice

I appreciate your response.  I will take your suggestions.  Yes, I installed Bitdefender Armor.  Does that negatively affect the functionality of the router.  -Alex

Message 3 of 7
Alexjccim
Apprentice

I disabled Armor and performed a Factory Reset the unit.  Problems solved!  I appreciate your fast response. 

I am extremely disappointed in Netgear Tech Support.  I submitted 3 separate trouble tickets on this over the last 3 weeks.  They would just cancel the ticket and finally suggest that I purchase a support plan.  This is after I showed that I just bought the unit in April and it was within the 90-day period.  I own multiple routers, NAS units, Powerlines and switches from  Netgear.  Over a 5-year period, I have received substantial support from the Community and horrible support from tech support.  This is with having Level 3 paid support plans on some devices.  Netgear-Be-Better!

@Killhippie wrote:

Message 4 of 7
Tofu-Golem
Apprentice

Another thing to try if you get poor WiFi speeds with Nighthawk routers is to toggle QoS off and on, or on and off, hitting "apply" each time. No idea why that works, but sometimes it works for me.

Message 5 of 7
Killhippie
Prodigy

The QoS on the RAX120 is a hot mess tbh. Its only on the upstream and it makes the connection worse. At this price point and standard of router I expected better tbh that a rule based QoS that came with the old R7000.

Message 6 of 7
Tofu-Golem
Apprentice

@Killhippie wrote:

The QoS on the RAX120 is a hot mess tbh. Its only on the upstream and it makes the connection worse. At this price point and standard of router I expected better tbh that a rule based QoS that came with the old R7000.

I didn't use QoS on my old R7000 because they thing needed frequent reboots.

I don't use it now because honestly my internet connection is fast enough to simply not need it.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7