× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX120 repeatedly reboots

Finckster
Initiate

Re: RAX120 repeatedly reboots

I just renerned the new same model Router as it too did the same.

I purchased a different model.

Message 26 of 43
ericwood73
Initiate

I have a RAX120 v2 and having the same problem.  I replaced the router after havning the same issue with the the first router and I'm still seeing the issue.  I also changed ISP between the routers (from AT&T to XFinity). I noticed that there were some DoS reports in the log coicindent with the reboots.  I tried disabling the DoS protection under WAN settings and it did not fix the problem.  I have tried firmware 1.2.1.22 and 1.2.0.16.  I could not install 1.0.2.136 as it said the firmware is invalid.  Called support and they have escalated to Tier 3.  I think we're giving up on Netgear.

Message 27 of 43
sespino2
Initiate

I am on my second Nighthawk router and am experiencing the same issues.  The first 2 days everything works fine but now is constantly rebooting about 1-2 times a day.  The support team has been no help just the constant process to do a factory reset and try various channels until one might not have issues.  Did anyone find a solution to the nighthawk router rebooting on its own?

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 28 of 43
Cockney
Apprentice

My final solution was to buy a TP-Link. No issues since. Netgear can go .......... themselves. 

@sespino2 wrote:

I am on my second Nighthawk router and am experiencing the same issues.  The first 2 days everything works fine but now is constantly rebooting about 1-2 times a day.  The support team has been no help just the constant process to do a factory reset and try various channels until one might not have issues.  Did anyone find a solution to the nighthawk router rebooting on its own?

Message 29 of 43
sespino2
Initiate

What TP link did you purchase and how far does it reach?

Message 30 of 43
Cockney
Apprentice

AX11000 MU-MIMO Tri-Band Gaming Router. I don't know how far it reaches but I haven't had any problems covering my property which is .5 acre.

Message 31 of 43
POTUDavid
Initiate

My router 'WiFi' seems to be resetting itself with more and more frequency, and it is more and more random. The hardwire connections remain fine, and the router itself is rebooting at least daily. I did a firmware upgrade, checked the logs, nothing really to suggest anything other than it is the WiFi hardware aspects that are doing what I've seen WiFi Routers do, usually within their first year - start having hardware problems. It doesn't seem to matter what the brand is either. I haven't owned my own router in years, but I went total ''SmartDevice" earlier this year, and this router solved all of my problem - clean, fast, amazing. About a month ago, it started this now escalating pattern of WiFi failure.

I purchased an Extened Warrantee from BestBuy, it is just part of owning this kind of equipment. I'll be pulling the router and getting new one today. I've been doing this sort of thing for over 20 years now. I wish they would either build these things better, or have some kind of self-diagnostic that simply and clearly tells you - hardware is failing instead of wasting everyone's time with this dog-and pony show. It is an industry problem. Netgear still makes awesome products. This pattern of escalating WiFi failure is so familiar. I appreciated everyone here who has shared and reported their experiences. It helped me realize, I am not the only one dealing with the issues, and all of you working through and reporting your results of the basic troubleshooting processes have inspired me to not waste my time further on something that is very familiar to me.

I'd buy this group a pizza party if I could, to say thank you. The adventure continues.

Two ways of approach this warranty thing (TIP), buy from COSTCO (which doesn't always have the cool stuff), but you can take things back 10 years from now, because you are not satisfied. (laugh), or buy from Best Buy, pay for the extended Warrantee, and track it, and always exchange your equipment prior to expiration, and repurchase or upgrade to a new model, and pay for a new extended warrantee. (They will actually tell you to do this when you buy stuff there, I think it really is part of their business model.) Gotta pay to play - (laugh). Mutual exploration or something. Good news is, the toys and tools do get better. I just think the WiFi components burn out in 24 months or less, and usually 12 months or less. Whatever the default warrantee...that is a pretty good guide for when failures and glitches start showing up.

Message 32 of 43
Cockney
Apprentice

All good advice.  However with regards to the RAX120.  Mine was only a few months old when it started problems.  I had it replaced and the replacement still had the same issues.  AND their warranty is only 90 days for hardware whcih totally sucks.

Message 33 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tried AP mode on the RAX connected to your upstream router? 

@Cockney wrote:

All good advice.  However with regards to the RAX120.  Mine was only a few months old when it started problems.  I had it replaced and the replacement still had the same issues.  AND their warranty is only 90 days for hardware whcih totally sucks.

Message 34 of 43
Cockney
Apprentice

I did not try AP mode.

Message 35 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try AP mode and see if the RAX continues to reboot or not.

Message 36 of 43
Cockney
Apprentice

That boat passed a long time ago.

Message 37 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

How so? 

Message 38 of 43
mudbone
Apprentice

I had versions 1 and 2 and returned version 2. Version 1 is setup now as an access point and has been for quite a while. It is relatively stable after some firmware updates but I never could get version 2 to work without rebooting all the time. Support will just keep you dangling along until the return period elapses then you will have a 400 dollar paper weight. My suggestion is if you have version 2 return it immediately. The two versions are different and the firmware developer does not know what they are doing. I truly do not think its a hardware problem and I strongly suggest that you don't wait for a firmware fix. I will never buy another Netgear router again after my experience with these routers. I will take a chance on their cable modems but that is it. 

Message 39 of 43
Cockney
Apprentice

My issue was non-resolved 6 months ago.. That's when I bought the TP-Link.  All in all, th eissue was ongoing for 6 months without resolution.  Support was the worst I ever encountered. They have no idea how these things work or what's wrong with them.

Message 40 of 43
Cockney
Apprentice

All of my gear WAS Netgear.  This fiasco made me change direction.  I'm slowly replacing all my switches. Never again.

Message 41 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, Good Luck then. 

Message 42 of 43
beachmiles
Apprentice

Initial indications point to disabling wmm on the 2.4ghz band may have "fixed" the random reboots on my 120 v2. Found the idea on another thread in this Netgear forum.
Message 43 of 43
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7