× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX120 - somehow changing to AP Mode

malteserinhk
Aspirant

RAX120 - somehow changing to AP Mode

Have not had this router long - less than a year.  I initially set up the router on router mode and all was fine.  However, at some point, i could no longer connect via wifi.  After a while, I connected via Lan and after a few restarts was able to finally log into routerlogin.net and as I trawled through the settings it seemed to have somehow set itself to AP mode.  Not sure how, or what could cause that.

I have now had this happen 4 or 5 times since, sometimes the wifi no longer works and i can reset everything back by just turning off the router and the ISP Modem for 10 mins, but other times i have to mess about getting connected via lan, do a few reboots before I can finally access routerlogin.net to again find out it has set itself to AP mode.

Once I change that back to router mode, and let it reboot it typically works fine.

What could be causing this to continue to happen???  Firmware is up to date.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions

@malteserinhk wrote:

The modem provided by the ISP is a Huawei HG8040H (it does have 4 lan ports on back)

It is a modem/router.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Is your RAX120 really going into AP mode  – how did you determine that?  – or is it simply adjusting its settings to avoid these conflicts by giving itself a different local IP address?.

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers, it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit. But then you hit this.

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router.

This may help:

huawei dg8041w bridge mode - Google Search

If not, ask Huawei or your ISP. Is isn't something that Netgear can help with.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies

Usual boilerplate questions.

What firmware version do you have on the RAX120?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The make and model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Message 2 of 4
malteserinhk
Aspirant

Firmware version is V1.2.8.40

The modem provided by the ISP is a Huawei HG8040H (it does have 4 lan ports on back)
Message 3 of 4

@malteserinhk wrote:

It is a modem/router.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Is your RAX120 really going into AP mode  – how did you determine that?  – or is it simply adjusting its settings to avoid these conflicts by giving itself a different local IP address?.

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers, it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit. But then you hit this.

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router.

This may help:

huawei dg8041w bridge mode - Google Search

If not, ask Huawei or your ISP. Is isn't something that Netgear can help with.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7