× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX120v2 VPN service will not enable with FW 1.2.3.28

pkaytes
Guide

RAX120v2 VPN service will not enable with FW 1.2.3.28

Hello,

I just set up my new RAX120v2 router but can't enable the VPN service.

After clicking "Enable VPN Service" and clicking Apply, I get a pop-up warning about using DDNS or a static IP address, press OK but the VPN Service doesn't actually start. If I navigate to any other admin page and come back to the VPN Service configuration place, the "Enable VPN Service" check box is no longer checked and there are no warnings or errors posted in the log file.

The firmware level is 1.2.3.28

Anyone else having this problem? Does anyone know of a fix?

Thanks,

Pete

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions

Re: RAX120v2 VPN service will not enable with FW 1.2.3.28

Hi @pkaytes ,

RAX120 won’t really save the VPN enabled setting into configuration because DDNS is disabled or Internet IP is not static IP mode.

So please set up the DDNS or Wan static ip then try again, thanks.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 11

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 2 of 11
pkaytes
Guide

Unfortunately I got no responses.

Am I the only one who is unable to enable and use the VPN Service of the RAX120v2 ?

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What browser are you using? 

Has factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update? 

Message 4 of 11
pkaytes
Guide

My internet provider is Comcast with an Arris modem... but I don't see what that has to do with software (firmware) within the router. The VPN service within the router does not run.

if I replace the RAX120v2 with my old R7000, the R7000 has no problem providing vpn service.

Yes I have performed a factory reset and it did not help (not that I am surprised).

I can go to ADVANCED/Advanced Setup/VPN Service and click on "Enable VPN Service" (the check mark turns green and shows a white check mark), click apply, navigate to any other admin page, come back to ADVANCED/Advanced Setup/VPN Service and the check box is unchecked and of course attempting to download the configuration files is not allowed.

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Would be good to know ISP modem model. 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update? 

What browser are you using? Try MS Edge or Firefox browser? 

Message 6 of 11
pkaytes
Guide

The cable Modem Is a TG1682G. Not  that an external device would make a difference . As I said before the NG R7000 router does not have the reported problem . 

Yes factory reset was done and does not help.

Internet Explorer, Chrome and MS Edge all display the same problem.

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

You are aware that the ISP modem already has a built in wifi and router as well? 

I recommend that you open up a support ticket with NG and let them know what your seeing. They will need to address this.

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Message 8 of 11
pkaytes
Guide

Yes, I am aware that the TG1682G is a combo modem and wireless router but I run it in bridge mode which effectively disables the router functions and allows an external device such as the RAX120v2 or R7000 to assume the network routing functions.

I have reported the problem to NG support but so far I am not at all impressed with how its being handled. We'll see what happens.

Message 9 of 11

Hi @pkaytes ,

RAX120 won’t really save the VPN enabled setting into configuration because DDNS is disabled or Internet IP is not static IP mode.

So please set up the DDNS or Wan static ip then try again, thanks.

Message 10 of 11
pkaytes
Guide

Re: Re: RAX120v2 VPN service will not enable with FW 1.2.3.28

Thank you! That was the trick. I didnt realize NG had changed the requirement so that DDNS or a truly static address is now a requirement to enable the VPN. Not so sure thats entirely necessary but I can understand the thinking that led to this design choice.

Thank you again!

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7