× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX200 AX12 - Separate 2.4ghz, 5ghz-1 and 5ghz-2 / IoT / Google devices network inconsistency

cloudmaster2017
Follower

RAX200 AX12 - Separate 2.4ghz, 5ghz-1 and 5ghz-2 / IoT / Google devices network inconsistency

Issue History: I've had issues with my IoT / google nest devices since day of getting the Netgear RAX200 device. My google devices disconnect frequently, I've tried it all, played with all the features of the router and had little to no improvement. I cannot find network connection consistency in any configuration or firmware version. 

Last resort: I have realized and come to terms that my issue is related to the "smart connect" / auto-steering band feature. Since it is automatically switching between 2.4ghz, 5ghz-1 and 5ghz-2 and some of my IoT and google devices support both bands, it starts playing this connect/disconnect game and I cannot find consistency. So I decided to turn off the feature and have SSID_2.4 (this is my 2.4ghz band network) and SSID (5ghz). 

Questions: 

1. When separating the bands, I want WiFi 6 / AX features for my WiFi 6 devices to still apply, would this be the case?

2. I know I have 2 5ghz bands and I understand why they exists and I want to make use of this. When/if  separating the bands, I have set both 5ghz bands with the same SSID and same exact password. Would the loadbalancing feature provided by the two 5ghz bands still apply for only the these bands? even when the "smart connect" feature is disabled? (if I enable "smart connect" it requires me to do all bands 2.4, and both 5ghz and we go back to my 1st issue).

I guess to clarify, I would like the router to be smart enough to automatically switch between 5ghz-1 and 5ghz-2 to:

1. Do the loadbalancing without having to add the 2.4ghz in the mix.

2. Not having to have two 5ghz SSIDs broadcasting 

Thanks for your help! 

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX200 AX12 - Separate 2.4ghz, 5ghz-1 and 5ghz-2 / IoT / Google devices network inconsistency

No. the "load balancing" wouldn't work if smart connect was disabled. 

If you're going to disable smart connect, I'd use all different ssid's so you can actually balance the setup yourself. 

The AX speed/features would still work as normal with smart connect disabled. 

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7