× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX200 in AP mode inaccessible, had to reset

RAX200 in AP mode inaccessible, had to reset

Does AP mode truly work on the RAX200? I put mine into AP mode (keeping defaults), and it immediately stopped working for all intents and purposes. Wired clients could not get an IP address (even though the WAN port was connected to the main router providing DCHP), and although the RAX's wireless networks were still visible, I could no longer connect to any of them from any client (they'd struggle and eventually time out). In addition, no amount of manual IP setting would allow wired clients to see the RAX. When I looked at the other router (which was providing DHCP and the internet connection for the AP mode RAX200), I could see the RAX would be assigned an IP address for a little while, and then disappear from the network. After an hour of flailing with it, I finally gave up and hard-reset the RAX, as I couldn't connect no matter what I did. It's working again (_not_ in AP mode), but I'm wondering what could have gone wrong. Any ideas from those who have done this?

For those who are wondering why in the world I would put the RAX200 into AP mode, I'm trying to avoid a double-NAT situation. My home is wired in a troublesome way, and the best location for a Wifi router is far from where the internet comes in (the latter being well-connected to wired jacks throughout the house). As a result, I have a separate router where the internet enters the house (providing a firewall and acting as a switch for various outlets/devices), and it provides a WAN connection via MoCA to the centrally-located RAX200, which is my main wireless router. Unfortunately, with there is no way to connect wired clients to the RAX, which is why I have two routers, and with the double-NAT setup, a couple of my devices don't work. Is there another way to make this setup work without the complexity?

Message 1 of 7

@FluidFactors018 wrote:

Does AP mode truly work on the RAX200? I put mine into AP mode (keeping defaults), and it immediately stopped working for all intents and purposes.

Is this what you did?

How do I change my NETGEAR router to AP mode? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

When you did that, did you also restart your network in the right order?

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

For those who are wondering why in the world I would put the RAX200 into AP mode, I'm trying to avoid a double-NAT situation. My home is wired in a troublesome way, and the best location for a Wifi router is far from where the internet comes in (the latter being well-connected to wired jacks throughout the house).

Perhaps this is the source of your problem.

Message 2 of 7
plemans
Guru

What actual modem/gateway is the RAX connected to in AP mode? 

Message 3 of 7

Yes, I followed the instructions and very carefully rebooted each device in the right order to be sure. All the devices on the main network worked just fine with the exception of the RAX200. While I could see the wireless network, I couldn't connect to it (or its network) in any way.
Message 4 of 7

The other router is a C4000XG, which I'm using as my CenturyLink gateway. Things worked _okay_ when I ran the network without it, but wireless was spotty in parts of the house, since the spot where the fiber enters the house is far from the best place for Wifi.
Message 5 of 7

@FluidFactors018 wrote:
While I could see the wireless network, I couldn't connect to it (or its network) in any way.

How did you try to connect? Sadly "couldn't connect" tells us nothing about what you did and what happened.

In AP mode you can't use things like mynetgear.com.

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

You need to work out which IP address the router has assigned to it. Something like 192.168.1.XXX

There are various ways of finding that out. The easiest is probably to login to the C4000XG modem/router – doesn't look like a Netgear device – and its list of "attached devices".

Then aim a browser at that IP address.

Message 6 of 7

Thanks for taking the time to respond. 

>> How did you try to connect? Sadly "couldn't connect" tells us nothing about what you did and what happened.

When I couldn't connect via wireless on any of the networks (from multiple devices), I connected my laptop to the RAX200 via Ethernet; but DHCP wasn't working (169.254.x.x address). Tried setting a manual IP in the address range of the main router (but high enough that it would be unused), but again, no luck. Of course, aplogin.net and routerlogin.net also did not resolve.

>> You need to work out which IP address the router has assigned to it. Something like 192.168.1.XXX

As I allluded to in my original post, I coulld see the RAX200 in the C4000XG's list of devices for a few seconds, but it never responded to a ping, and disappeared from the list of devices very quickly. The RAX200 was still running and broadcasting SSIDs, but attempts to connect to them would spin for a while and time out.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7