× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX30 VPN IP Range changed after newest firmware

abadbronc
Aspirant

RAX30 VPN IP Range changed after newest firmware

I updated my RAX30 Nighthawk to firmware version V1.0.6.74_1 today. I use the VPN service to connect to my home network from outside. I use a pihole for DHCP and DNS services so they are disabled on the router. The VPN connections are usually assigned ip addresses in the 192.168.2.x range but after the firmware update they are being assigned an address in the 192.168.254.x range and I am no longer able to access the internet through the VPN. I can still connect to devices on the LAN just fine. The VPN service is set to allow access to "All sites on the internet and home network". I cannot change my subnet mask to 255.255.0.0. I get an error that says "The IP address conflicts with the WAN IP subnet."

Does anyone know what I'm missing here? Everything worked fine a few hours ago.

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
abadbronc
Aspirant

Re: RAX30 VPN IP Range changed after newest firmware

In case this ever happens to anyone else..

I fixed this today. Apparently, if you want to change your LAN subnet mask you first need to set your DNS servers back to default settings. After doing so I was able to change my subnet to include the VPN range then change my DNS back to the pihole. Super frustrating but I'm sure there is a good reason for this. I just wish the error was a bit more clear so I wouldn't have wasted hours of my life troubleshooting.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
abadbronc
Aspirant

Re: RAX30 VPN IP Range changed after newest firmware

In case this ever happens to anyone else..

I fixed this today. Apparently, if you want to change your LAN subnet mask you first need to set your DNS servers back to default settings. After doing so I was able to change my subnet to include the VPN range then change my DNS back to the pihole. Super frustrating but I'm sure there is a good reason for this. I just wish the error was a bit more clear so I wouldn't have wasted hours of my life troubleshooting.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7