× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX35-Issues-After-Resetting-Won-t-connect-to-modem-cannot-login

ssl92677
Star

RAX35-Issues-After-Resetting-Won-t-connect-to-modem-cannot-login

@plemans

recommended I start a new thread so here goes....

I have two of these and neither will connect to the internet any longer... they both died within days of each other. 

The first unit on Cox worked for years, the second unit (refurbished) on WestCoast Internet failed in 2 weeks.

Wifi SSIDs are broadcast and able to select, however, "No internet".  

Both computer systems connect with no issues via direct ethernet cable to modem.

Factory reset does nothing. 

Rebooting the entire network several times does nothing. 

Cannot login in to RAX35s - assuming ip addresses are NOT being assigned internally by the RAX35 ???

Need a solution other than buy new wifi routers, thanks!
Message 1 of 19
plemans
Guru

What modem/gateway do you have from cox? 

What firmware is on them? 

What are the led's on it doing? 

Message 2 of 19
ssl92677
Star

Arris modems at both locations

Firmware versions are unknown as you can't login to the routers

Have to check the lights, however....

both RAX35 routers were working just fine until a few days ago then no worky no more.

Message 3 of 19
plemans
Guru

Which arris modems? 

When more than 1 device goes "bad" at the same time, its makes me suspicious of either a firmware update, a change in the setup, or something with the system. the odds of both of them going bad in such a short time are really high. 

I'd take a look at the led's to see what they're actually doing. It could be a corrupt firmware or something. 

That you can force new firmware back to them. 

Or it could be a double nat issue as netgear routers don't play as nicely with double nats. 

did you ever check to see if they've changed their default ip address? maybe if there's a double nat they're on the 10.0.0.1 address. 

Message 4 of 19
ssl92677
Star

Arris Surfboard DocSys 3.0 on Cox network

Arris CM820 DocSys 3.0 on West Coast Internet provided by ISP (been working for years)

No recent changes in either location.  Both routers were unplugged from power and failed to work again.

Have no clue how to re-install router firmware if I can't login to the router...

Message 5 of 19
plemans
Guru

@ssl92677 wrote:

Arris Surfboard DocSys 3.0 on Cox network

Arris CM820 DocSys 3.0 on West Coast Internet provided by ISP (been working for years)

No recent changes in either location.  Both routers were unplugged from power and failed to work again.

Have no clue how to re-install router firmware if I can't login to the router...

Again, key will be what your led's on it are doing (when you get the chance). 

If they're on appropriately, then it usually isn't a corrupt firmware issue (not saying it isn't). But some setting issue we can work on. 

If it is a corrupt firmware issue, then we can use tftp or nmrpflash to force firmware to them. I'll go over those methods if we need to do them.

So whenever you're home, Plug one of them in. Once its been powered on for a bit, make sure to factory reset it. Push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds while its powered on. the lights should blink/change when held long enough. Don't have it connected to the modem at that time.

Message 6 of 19
ssl92677
Star

I believe all the lights work correctly just no internet connection.  I'm going to one location in about ten minutes and I will check back in once I get there.  Thanks!

Message 7 of 19
ssl92677
Star

I'm at the first location and I powered on  the RAX38. 

The red light came on, followed by the blue 2.4 and 5 gHz lights which then switched off and the main power light is now solid blue.  Both the 2.4 and 5 gHz assigned SSIDs show as available but of course No internet as the router is NOT connected to the modem.

Reset procedure results in power light turning for solid bue to solid red and after 10 seconds the red light begins to flash so I then remove the pin from the reset hole.  Power=up sequence completes and the solid blue power light is lit.

Reset is successful as original Netgear41 and Netgear41-5G SSIDs are once again broadcast.

Connected HP desktop ethernet to RAX38 port #1 logged in at 192.168.1.1 and successfully added new login credentials, SSIDs & passwords.  Turned off RAX28, disconnected desktop ethernet, relocated router to living room, rebooted modem, connected modem to router waited for router bootup completion and all appears to once again be in order.

Looking back on this, I was previously unaware of the ability to directly connect a PC to a router port and login via 192.168.1.1.

Now off to the other location to hopefully repeat another successful re-installation.

Thanks for the help!

Message 8 of 19
plemans
Guru

glad to hear you got it working!

Might mark it solved so others aren't still trying to fix it. 

I'd also recommend making a backup. the RAX series seems like they have more issues after firmware changes and sometimes need the reset/reinstall. 

Message 9 of 19
ssl92677
Star

Well the RAX35 at the 2nd location is a bust.  I was able to perform the hardware reset, however, the unit will not "burn-in" the new password or security questions answers. Then new screen reports "Congratulations! You are successfully connected to the internet" showing 2.4 and 5gHz factory SSIDs and passwords.

All led lights are green, however, there is no internet connection wither through the 4 output ports nor for the 2.4 of 5-G wifis. 

192.168.1.1 allows access, however once again, any changes to SSID and passcodes are accepted on-screen but fail to be written into the unit.

No error messages are displayed at the completion of the updating write cycle.

Rax35 checks for new firmware and reports "no new firmware updates available".  I find intriguing because without internet access, how can the unit check Netgear servers without producing an error message for no connection (poorly coded firmware update routine?).

Suggestions?

Message 10 of 19
plemans
Guru

On the unit not working, if you can log into it, try downgrading the firmware a version. 

Message 11 of 19
ssl92677
Star

Yes, thanks.  I was able to download a previous version (RAX35-V1.0.3.94_1.0.1) and finally re-connect to the internet (jeez).

Now to see if I can reset the SSIDs and passwords without issue and get back to work!

Message 12 of 19
ssl92677
Star

Okay, here goes... 

Did NOT upgrade firmware to latest rev.

Attempts to change SSIDs and passwords fail.  After applying these, router reboots and shows old SSIDs (Netgear 26 and Netgear26-5G)

Decided to try work around:

Successfully reloaded previously saved config file which contained my previous SSIDs and passwords

at which point NO INTERNET CONNECTION on reboot of router.

Complete PITA and time suck.  Something apparently wrong with these RAX35s.  Got the RAX38v2 working again thanks to plemans (kudos).

Reinstalled my old R6220 router which is working just fine.

Message 13 of 19
plemans
Guru

I don't usually recommend reloading a backup configuration if you're having issues. after you downgraded, did you try the factory reset? 

Message 14 of 19
plemans
Guru

I think we should be able to get the 35's working. If you're able to log into them and change firmware/settings, they haven't failed.
Message 15 of 19
ssl92677
Star

RAX35 has been reset, still cannot change SSIDs or their passwords.

Message 16 of 19
plemans
Guru

did you try a different web browser? 

Or the app?

Message 17 of 19
ssl92677
Star

Don't recall which browsers I used and I have not tried the app. 

Will re-check later this morning and report back.

Thanks!

Message 18 of 19
ssl92677
Star

So Edge, Firefox and Chrome either gave me security warnings or would not let me pass to 192.168.1.1. 

Finally used Chrome Incognito and successfully changed the SSIDs and passwords and verified the changes on my cell and the Nighthawk app.

My observation is that the RAX35 is very slow to reset or boot and it does not appear to perform any better than the old R6220 I re-installed when the RAX35 went south on Cox with the Arris SB8200 modem.

I bought another RAX38 on eBay since I found the RAX35v2 and RAX38 to be more stable than the RAX35 which is now being retired.

Thakns again plemans for all your help!

Message 19 of 19
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7